Tantrums??? OMG....

My daughter was great at the age of 2.. I didn't believe the whole terrible 2's saying.... She is now 3 and I do not know who she is... There has not been any change in lifestyle, routine and I am so confused....Her tantrums and attitudes are driving me insane! She is not only rude to me but to her daddy and family. When she doesn't get her way is the worst, or when I tell her to stop a few times then I finally have to raise my voice and then she;ll listen. I ma trying to change the yelling to make her listen. I hate that I have to yell in order for her to listen! IS THIS NORMAL???? I am at a lost. I now this 2 shall pass but OMG... It is drving me crazy.. Her pre-school provider tells me all the time how wonderful she is and how much of a helper she is and she is so bubbly but then it's like when she gets home in her comfort zone the JACKEL comes out. It's not all the time but when it happens the attitude is horrible.

jgochain

Asked by jgochain at 10:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yep, that's normal. I never understood why they called it the "terrible two's" because three is much worse. Don't worry, they'll grow out of it... eventually...
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Thanks! I hope so..... :(
    I feel like all I do is yell! I hate that
    jgochain

Comment by jgochain (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Three year olds are in the unenviable position of not being one thing or another. They look like short people, but they're really tall babies. Who can talk and have opinions, and no access whatsoever to rational thought or logic or reality.

Look, they believe in the tooth fairy --really, really believe, I mean. They believe that if the window doesn't feel like it, the hammer that's thrown at it won't break it... or it won't break if the hammer doesn't really mean it. They believe in good guys and bad guys, and couldn't wrap their heads around complexities like Hitler being nice to kittens with a running start and 12 evening classes.

Her overwhelming frustration at the world (and she is being overwhelmed by her frustration) is because she wants things her way when she wants them because she wants them, and it's infuriating having the real world stay real.

It's hard to remember she's mentally a baby, but remembering helps.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• One of my favorite sayings: Whoever called it the terrible twos never had a three year old. Seriously, most kids get worse when they turn 3 - the "terrible twos" are just the beginning. This is where learning house/family rules, discipline, etc, really mean the most - if you slack whatsoever she will know she's taken over. Be solid & consistent and she'll be a wonderful older child.
    Anonymous

• wish you the best of patients and a lot of nerves....
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2010