Gluten avoiding diet

Has anyone had good results with just drastically reducing gluten in their diets w/o completely cutting it out? I am not a celiac, but I know that I feel better when I don't eat things like wheat flour. I've heard some say that cutting out gluten helps them lose weight, or even restores fertility. I think it would be too hard (and too expensive) for me to totally eliminate it. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 10:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Health

• I did go gluten free for 2 years due to severe back & joint pain. I do eat some here & there, but I have to take a probiotic with it. I am not celiac and the dr's can't prove that I have an intolerance. I eat too much & everything comes back. I have lost weight too. It's not expensive to go gluten free unless you are trying to replace processed foods. Go back to the basics: meat, vegetable & fruit. I bake with rice flour. You don't need all the different flours or blended gluten free flours. Rice flour can be substituted in most recipes.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure how no longer buying anything with wheat in it is 'expensive' --in many people's diets, that would slash thousands of dollars worth of food from their grocery budget in a single stroke.

The mistake I believe people make when they're altering their diets (whether it's vegan or gluten-free or anything else) is to try to act like they haven't altered their diets. Ersatz foods are not, actually, necessary. Nobody 'needs' tofurkey instead of turkey --if you want to give up gluten, give up what is made from it and you'll find it's free not expensive. Yes, that means no more pasta, but a couple of people in the world have never eaten pasta --or never heard of it-- or only ever eat noodles that are made of rice or bean to start with.

You'll go broke (and crazy) trying to find any half-way acceptable 'bread' substitute, so stop trying. Eat other things. No one ever died of a lack of toast.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Sure. Just don't eat bread or pasta. There are plenty of carbs besides wheat-filled ones. Just cut it out slowly - the breads/pastas. And like you said, don't cut it out totally, you do need a little, I know I've been through the same thing, and currently feel better if I cut back on my wheat/gluten intake. I eat a lot of brown rice and potatoes instead of breads & pastas, but still eat some cereal & some homemade baked goodies on occasion.
    Anonymous

• Never heard of doing it for losing weight. Wheat is a good source of fiber in your diet, which actually keeps your digestive processes moving. It keeps your colon cleaned out and toxins flushed out. I would look to other areas to make cut backs on.
    Bennett121

Answer by Bennett121 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I know that any time you eliminate processed foods and chemicals from your diet, you will benefit...
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It is not really expensive to eat a gluten free diet. Your going to have to read labels though.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010