To get a Perm or not?

So not sure about this. Have been thinking about it for awhile. Thinking of getting a loose spiral perm, as I'm having quite a few issues with my hair since my hysterectomy in the spring. Suggestions? Good idea or not? Would this be considered very out of style? I just have NO body in my hair anymore, and have lost a good bit of hair... TIA!

Miracle_pg

Asked by Miracle_pg at 10:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• i'd try a body wave first....i have curly hair and it can be a pain
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'm no expert but I say if you've lost hair that it wouldn't be smart to add chemicals to it, that could cause it to get worse.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 10:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• not too sure about the in-style question, I dont see why it wouldnt be in style! But if your hair carries curls well it should work well. and remember to use hair products made for perms
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• In my professional opinion I would advise against it if you were in my chair for these reasons:

Hormone changes such as menopause, puberty, and pregnancy can change the way perm chemicals affect the disulfide bonds in your hair, and it probably won't take.
    Spiral perms are genarally very expensive, and tend to come out a lot quicker than a regular perm. I would be concerned that you would waste your money.
    If you are suffering from hair loss, a perm could make it worse.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Body waves, and all perms use the same chemical, so don't think one is safer than the other by any means!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Ok, thanks you guys! Very good points indeed, guess I'm just stuck with a little thinner, limp hair for at least the next 30-40 yrs...LOL
    Miracle_pg

Comment by Miracle_pg (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Try using a dry shampoo! I have thin hair and I use it as a styling tool! It gives me texture, fullness, and lift. It keeps my hair from looking stringy too. Also make sure you are using quality shampoo and cond. Alot of store brands use glycerin and wax fillers that can dry the hair, make it unhealthy, and clog hair follicles! Try Paul Mitchell Lemon Sage Thickening Shampoo. It swells the hair shaft so it feels thicker and has tea tree for scalp health! If you ever have any questions about hair stuff hit me up! It's ma job!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'd talk with my hairdresser about it. They should be able to give you all the in's and outs of it, as well as tell you how they think it would work for you.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i wouldn't do a perm, but that's me...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• most women who have lost/are losing hair tend to want to hang on to what they do have, even when its in terrible shape (limp, breaking off, no body, thin, etc). my suggestion would be to get a good blunt cut, at least to the top of the shoulders, so that you can have better volume.
    since you're considering a spiral, i'm assuming you have a good length to your hair. nothing looks worse on thin, limp, sparse hair than length. cut it off, and deal with it in a better shape, length.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2010