• In the Spotlight:

How do I know when to head down to hospital?

I don't wanna be one of those women who rush to emergency room at the first pain so what's a good way to judge when to go

AprylnAtticus

Asked by AprylnAtticus at 10:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doctor always said 5 minutes apart with contrations that you couldn't talk through. They won't yell at you for going at the wrong time so don't worry.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The general rule is 5-1-1- contractions 5 minutes apart, lasting one minute each, for one hour.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• oooooh you'll know! When I was told that I thought "yeah whatever" but you will know. the contraction pain wont go away like BH do. I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes, about 70 seconds long. it was crazy and 3 am too! SO told me to go back to sleep LMAO I dont think soooooo
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• you'll know. Don't worry. I was afraid of the same thing. I refused to believe I was really in labor until my contractions were 8 min apart and I couldn't breath through them! lol. I went to the hospital when they we 4-5 min a part and had been for about 3 hours. I actually kinda wish I had stayed home longer. Any way. You'll know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• as the other ladies have said.. you will know.. my friend had her waters break on her 2 days before the birth and she still was sent home. lost her mucous plug a week before the birth also. had to get induced in the end.
    I had a bloody show after having an internal ( being 3 days over) the had severe back pain as DD was posterior and I was told not to come in as the contractions werent frequent.. the pain was so bad I didnt even know when I was actually in labour. It got to the point where a bath would not help at all and I couldnt take it anymore.. when i went to the hospital i could barely walk and found out my contractions were 3 minutes apart! .. lol. so yeah you will know.. or your unsure,, you could always ring the drs.. they can tell when your ready by the way you are speaking on the phone.. goodluck
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• When your water breaks depending on how far away the hospital is. If it is at a great distance I would go with the contractions rule.
    amandagrass

Answer by amandagrass at 6:12 AM on Nov. 1, 2010