Oh I forgot! Another quick question.

Do I have to be dialted/have lost my mucus plus or anything like that for it to work when they induce me? If so, what can I do to try to help my body dilate?

ours

Asked by ours at 10:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i was already dilated when i was induced with my son but they induced me because they thought something was wrong with my gal bladder but my son was 8lbs 10 ounces
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• So does that mean you have to be dilated or not?
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i dont know
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It depends, they don't induce just because, I mean are you trying to get baby here by a certain date? Let's face it really you should only be induced if there is a medical problem, other than that you should just let your body do what it needs to do, it's a much more pleasant labor. No you don't have to be dilated in order for them to induce, however, in addition to that, there is NOTHING you can do to keep yourself dilated if you are not "ready" to be in labor, your bodies dilation will change hourly while you are pregnant, and that's okay. You can go from being 2 cm to 0 cm in a matter of minutes, and vice versa.

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 10:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I posed a question that says "FINALLY" a little earler that explains my random question haha. He's a VERY big boy, double the size that's considered average. They're just worried that he'll get too big, so they want to check on things by doing an ultrasound at 36 weeks. The doctor said it's very possible that they'll need to induce afterwards if he's getting too big.
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:27 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• they can only guess the size he is noone knows for sure i was told my son was 7lbs but he was bigger than that im not trying to be mean or anything but they dont know for sure
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I agree wholeheartedly, they can't tell you for sure what size he is, it's just guesstimate. Are they accurate, not really, and most of the time they OVER estimate, not under. As far as size is concerned I posted my response to that in your original post. I personally think that you should quit stressing, and that you should let you baby lead the way into a natural delivery, but I'm one of those kooky moms that doesn't think that you should birth in a hospital either!

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 10:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I was about 1 cm when I was induced, and had to go back a second time because my cervix just didn't want to dilate. I had been losing bits and pieces of my mucus plug for a couple of weeks before my son was born. I had to stay overnight in the hospital the night before I was given pitocin (the second time) and they put a Cervadil chip in my vagina to soften up my cervix and allow it to dilate when I was given the pit. drip. I was in early labor before the even started the IV!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I was induced when I was 1cm with my son. They told me all along that he was going to be about 7-8 pounds... the induction put me in labor for about 16hrs and only moved me to 3cm. So they ended up doing a c-section. Come to find out he was 10 pounds and had the cord around his neck three times. Doctors knew none of this... so much of labor is up to your body and your baby. I do believe they will induce without you being even 1cm, but usually by the time they decide to induce, you will most likely not be at 0cm. Good luck!
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 11:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I got induced with my first son I was not dialated at all I was a few day over due I was in labor for 36 hrs and the pain was horrible then i pushed for 2 1/2 hr but he got hear 7pd 14 oz
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Oct. 31, 2008