Have you ever heard of Norovirus?

I've never heard of this one... I'm just wondering how many have? There is a new vaccine in clinical trials for it now... But no one I know has even heard of it...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Health

• I hadn't heard of it till Dr. Tenpenny mentioned it and said she had never heard of it either, and yet a vaccine is being prepared for it. I haven't as yet googled it either.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• As a student, we were told that the simple "stomach flu" that people used to get so commonly might just have been the fact that food was inadequately handled causing the illness.  The stomach flu used to occur mostly in winter, but would run rampantly through the entire family.  I believe this is what that is referring to: "Common names of the illness caused by noroviruses are winter vomiting disease, viral gastroenteritis, and acute non-bacterial gastroenteritis,also colloquially known as "stomach flu" a broad name that refers to gastric inflammation caused by a range of viruses and bacteria."  I really haven't heard of the vaccine until now, but that would certainly be something I would be interested in studying.   Other than childrens' vaccines, I have to say I am kind of leary of them.

Anonymous

• Yeah, I found out through Dr. Tenpenny too... Apparently it's something you can get from shell fish...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2010