Would you vote for an Atheist?

If there was a candidate to was your ideological match but was an Atheist, would you vote for that candidate or is a belief in God a necessary ideal for you in a candidate?

Imaginaryfriend

Asked by Imaginaryfriend at 10:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• yes, i would prefer someone atheist just to keep religion out of govt.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 10:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Jewish, Atheist, Christian doesn't matter to me. There is only ONE issue that matters to me and I vote according to that issue and that issue only.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Well being an atheist I would vote for an atheist without hesitation. But only if I agreed with their policies.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:27 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I am also an atheist, but I would NEVER vote for someone unless I agreed with their policies. I couldn't care less what religion they are, or if they have a religion at all. Doesn't matter to me one bit.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:29 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That, in itself, would not influence my vote.
    KathySRW

Answer by KathySRW at 10:31 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It wouldn't matter to me...he/she would "just happen" to be an Atheist.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• On a side note, I do find it difficult to vote for someone like Sarah Palin, who is so obviously influenced by her beliefs. I am not against voting for Christians if they are capable of compartmentalizing their beliefs from their public duties. Sarah Palin is not, and that is playing a major role in why I am not voting for McCain.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:44 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Well considering I am a Unitarian Universalist and sit in worship with Atheists, my mother and sister are Atheists, my husband is Agnostic, and I have best friends from Jehovah Witness to Pagan, I could give a crap about their religion. I also frankly care less about their party affiliation. I want to know what they think and what they plan to do and how they plan to run the business of the country. I want to know if they can think for themselves, be open-minded and take advice, remain calm under pressure, and multitask.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Only if they had a bitchin' meat car!!! haha
    belladonna777

Answer by belladonna777 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• On the Sarah Palin note......she is influences by her passionate beliefs! The belief that the government should be "for the people, by the people", she believes that government should STOP spending OUR money on waste and taxing US for it., she believes in growing our economy by using the Reaganomics that brought our nation from a recession to recovery, she believes in pro-life yet understands that there are extreme circumstances that may warrant an abortion and opposes partial birth abortion and opposes the live baby act, she believes in the sanctity of marriage but believes that gay couples must have the right to unity benefits. She is NOT super right Christian conservative so much so that she doesn't see needs on the other side of the isle.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2008