Once a kiddo gets tubes placed in their ears, Can they still get ear infections?

My toddler had tubes put in her ears last Thursday. Today she had a fever of 102 most of the day. Went down with a little ibprofin, but always back up. She was digging really hard in one of her ears. She said it hurt. I will be calling the doc in the morning.

Dandylionslayer

Asked by Dandylionslayer at 12:12 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes.

In double-blind studies, tubes in ears were shown to make no difference at all to frequency or duration of ear infections.

What does make a real difference in a lot of children is eliminating cow's milk. Professional singers and speakers avoid milk because it increases the amount of mucus bodies make, and in a small child's body that is the perfect condition for ear infections.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:15 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They can. It's not 100% effective, although it does drastically reduce the number of ear infections. I'm sure when you call they'll have you come in. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:15 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• YES! They can still get ear infections.
    MrsAC

Answer by MrsAC at 12:17 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• She is a cow free kiddo - I thought she was showing the ear infection signs, i was trying to read the stuff the ENT gave us and it actually didn't say anything about infections after tubes.
    Dandylionslayer

Comment by Dandylionslayer (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, they can still have them. Maybe her ears haven't healed all the way yet and she got an infection. Sometimes too, the tubes can get blocked with ear wax. Did they give you any ear drops after they were put in? Usually they do to make sure it heals correctly. Good Luck.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, they can still get ear infections, NOTHING is 100% effective in treating anything. My friends son actually had his ear drum burst after his tubes fell out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, they can.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes. Sorry, mama. Hope your kiddo feels better.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yeah I think so.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Absolutely; the tubes help LESSEN the frequency of infections as well as provide a means for it to drain (and also a direct line to treat it) but they don't stop them completely. I hope she feels better soon.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 1:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010