My Dog has the runs.... Help!!

I have an 80 lb, 12 yr old Yellow Lab who has had the runs for just over 24 hours... I have given him 3 doses of Kaopectate (vet said once before this was ok), and have been mixing rice in with half a portion of his food for both his feedings today. Poor thing had to spend almost all day outside b/c I was sick of cleaning the carpets!! Now I haev him trapped in the kitchen!! Anything else I can do for him to help make things "solid" again??? Thank you!!

Morgain

Asked by Morgain at 12:39 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pets

• cottage cheese will help. Our vet told me the mix it with rice. He was better very quick after that.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The best thing to do is not feed him anything for at least 12 hours, and give his tummy time to settle. Make sure he has water, and make sure he is drinking it, but no food.

Than start him back on bland ... rice with chicken broth (low sodium!), yogurt, maybe some plain unseasoned cooked chicken.

If he doesn't improve, or the runs continue you should call your vet. Dehydration makes any illness worse and most dogs won't drink enough to counter it. If you have pedialyte you can offer that and see if he'll drink it. Good luck ~ labs are such garbage guts (spoken fondly because I have one of my own lol).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would have not feed him anything for 24 hours and see if that helped it run its course. But since this has already gone on for 24 hours you really should take him to the vet because he can become dehyrated
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• our dog did this and we had to change her food she must be on lamb and rice! my aunts dog gets this sometimes and she does hamberger and rice or chicken and rice for a few days no dog food just the rice and meat. GL
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 12:48 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thank you ladies.... I've been letting him out every 30 minutes and I just want to go to bed!!! I think I'm going to barricade him in the kitchen and deal with the mess in the morning!! ;o(

Morgain

Comment by Morgain (original poster) at 1:34 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• He needs to see the vet.... I'd be really worried about dehydration.
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 9:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We usually do all rice until their tummy is better and if they will not eat it plan add a can of tuna in water (do not drain it first all that juice makes the rice taste better) sounds like your doing rice and after 24hrs if thats not working you should call your vet they can give them meds to get over it much faster! Good luck!
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 9:45 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thanks all... we called the vet and they said keep doing to Kaopectate and rice for another day... they are really busy and we are really broke so we are all hoping he doesn't have to go in there - it would mean we don't eat this week! ;o(

Morgain

Comment by Morgain (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) is great for bulking up the stool. About a tablespoon will do. You don't want to give too much because it can also have the opposite effect (can cause constipation). I agree though that the dog should be fasted for 24 hours to give the intestinal tract a little time to heal, then only feed bland food (boiled chicken or hamburger meat and rice) for a day or two, then slowly transition back to the regular food. If this doesn't clear up within a couple of days, like the others have said, you will HAVE to take him to the vet. You do not want him to become dehydrated. Plus, he could have a parasite or virus and you need to rid of it if he does.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Make sure she gets gatoraid or pedilyte bc if she dehyrates your going to have a lot more problems you can put some in its water and food just make sure they get it into them
    myraclemommy

Answer by myraclemommy at 10:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2010