how can i talk to my dr

ok so i want to talk to my dr about my weight issue but i dnt know how to bring it up or wat to say to her i have been thinking about this alot now and i take my daughter for her 2 month shots on the 10 and i wanna bring it up but im emarresed to talk bout the subject im a shy person when it comes to that im only 20 and i want to live my life happy so have any one else had trouble talking to there dr if so how did u finally talk to them about it and wat questions did u ask them also i dnt want to bring my mom along cuz it will be more harder for me to talk bout it im just a really shy person even around family

senior_2OO8

Asked by senior_2OO8 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Health

• I am having the same problem... I know I have a weigth problem, and other health problems that I know could probably be better fi i lost weight.... our DR. knows everyone in town ( we live in a very small town) and has a big mouth, and makes jokes alot ( but is a very good DR) ..... I am planning on making an appt. tomorrow and I think I am just going to try and say it fast.........take a deep breath and say it fast.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 1:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'd wait and make an appointment yourself so you can have your doctor's full undivided attention instead of using your daughter's appointment time for yourself. Doctors tend to frown upon that. When you do that, bring it up and see if you can get referrals to a nutrition specialist or even labs drawn to see if it is something more than just being overweight. Doctors see everything and they like you to be in charge of your health. You can be rest assured that you are not the first overweight patient your doctor has seen nor the last. The way I went about my problems was finding a health care provider I was comfortable with. I figure if they've seen my vagina, I can talk to them about anything.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Why are you asking the same question again? Its only been like 20 min ago.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 1:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Also.. I plan on asking about maybe being tested for things like blood sugar and thyroid, etc....

I am also very shy and I am going alone.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 1:24 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• the thing too i dnt have medicaid so how can i pay for all my labs and all that or i would have asked sooner
    senior_2OO8

Comment by senior_2OO8 (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• an to answer y im asking it again is because i would love the advice and helpp
    senior_2OO8

Comment by senior_2OO8 (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If it were me, I would just simply tell them what my concern is and explain why I have the concern.. A doctor is there to help you, not make you feel bad about yourself.. When I talked to my doctor I had a very positive experience, he gave me some great advice, referrals and literature..
    Jordi_Girl

Answer by Jordi_Girl at 2:02 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Doctors wish they could bring up such a sensitive subject with people, but they know it's bad for business! So I'm sure your doc will be thrilled you're bringing it up. Just say that you want to lose weight in a healthy way and you need some guidance. She can point you in the right direction. You are very wise for wanting to talk to your doc about it. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:42 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Don't feel bad for asking.. If you weight is bothering you....Is a real concern... and the Dr is used to, he is there to help! Good luck!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 6:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• so its ok i bring it up at my daughters appointment
    senior_2OO8

Comment by senior_2OO8 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010