Teething.. fact or myth?

my daughter is 2 1/2 months old and acting like she might be teething. She is drooling like craaaaazy and always yanking on her ears. So I told a friend this and they said that the sooner the teeth come in the worse dental problems in the future and vice versa (the later the better). Has anyone heard this? Is there any reassurance for me? Lol.

kate_jocelyn

Asked by kate_jocelyn at 1:37 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard of that. Teeth just come in whenever they come in. I don't think it matters how early or late. You know some children are born with teeth!
    renajennjenn

Answer by renajennjenn at 1:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I have heard this. My son didn't get his first tooth til he was 10 1/2 months and now at almost 13 months, he barely has 4. I didn't start getting teeth until I was 10 months old, but I have lots and lots of genetic dental problems, so I have no clue how true that is. lol. Sorry that I wasn't much help.
    morgan078681

Answer by morgan078681 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I have not found that to be true. My children starting getting teeth at 4 months and none of them have ever had a cavity. They are now 13, 10, 9 and 5. As long as you take care of their teeth when they are young and teach them proper dental care when they are older along with regular dental visits, they will be just fine.
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 2:20 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• no i dont beleave that to be true
    Sunnysidemama

Answer by Sunnysidemama at 9:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• i dont think its true my baby got her first 2 teeth @ three month and has 7 now and she 8 months teeth do as they please all children are differant
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• My 13 year old son started teething early and he hasn't had a cavity yet. My 9year old started teething later than is brother and has had alot of dental work done already.
    wilbursdaughter

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 10:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I've heard this, however I've talked to my son's pediatrician and dentist and both have said that it is 100% a MYTH. No worries mama!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• she could have an ear infection my nephew was pulling on he's ears when he had one.
    t_cutie_07

Answer by t_cutie_07 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Very OLD wives tale.
    It's probably based on tooth decay... from before parent's bothered to clean a baby's teeth. The earlier the teeth came in, the longer they were exposed to muck before the parent's started cleaning them.
    Just clean them daily as they come in (a wet wash cloth is fine) and tell your friend some equally quaint but false old wives tale.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Haha.. thank you all very much for the help, I honestly feel MUCH better :) oh and to t_cute_07, she's been pulling on her ears for about a month and I thought it might have been an ear infection as well but her doctor has checked twice and theres nothing!

I already rub her gums with a washcloth every night, and i'll def. be on top of those dentist appts in the future! (her daddy a.k.a, sperm donor, doesnt have the greatest of teeth so i was a bit worried!)

Thanks to all again!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2008