Does anyone else feel totally overwhelmed as a working mom?

My husband and I both work full-time. I work Monday-Friday - 7:30am-4:00pm. I NEVER feel as if I have enough time to get everything done, organized, or have enough time to spend with our 3 year old son. I feel like a failure most of the time....I just feel totally overwhelmed and wonder how many other women feel the same way. I need advice, tips, and encouragement that it gets better and that I can get a better grasp on my life.

momneedstimeout

Asked by momneedstimeout at 2:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• hey we re all trying to live the american dream home family and job . just remember your doing your best!
    teresa1962

Answer by teresa1962 at 2:32 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It can be overwhelming I know. My husband works full time. I on the other hand work part time, but at a job that is extremely physical so by the time I get home, I am extremely tired and weak. I feel bad because there are days where I am just so beat and I have 3 wonderful kids that need my time. The blessing is that they help and support me, at least my two older ones who are 15 and 10 especially with my 2yo. Trust me, I have wanted to quit my job thinking it would help unload some of the stress, but it's not the best option right now. I have even more on my plate now that I'm doing online schooling for a degree.The way I look at it,organizing my time would help me in the long run and keeping healthy and reminding myself I am doing for the good of my family and me and that we love and support each other.Take time out for yourself too, you're worth it.
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 3:04 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I know the feeling. I work at McDonalds which i know isn't a big time job. But i work in the mornings, go home for a break, then go back and close the same night. It is overwhelming and hard. I don't ever get to see my daughter and it sucks because my boyfriend doesnt have a job. He gets to stay home with her all day and he doesnt even spend time with her! He gives her to his mother all damn day. If only we had our own place. But thats not even it though. You'd think that he'd want to spend time with his daughter. I don't know though because it's like as soon as i walk out the door weither she's awake or not, he'll pick up Lily out of her crib and take her to his moms room and his mom will have her all day. :(
    TehHannah

Answer by TehHannah at 3:17 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It does seem overwhelming, but it does get better. Give yourself some slack. Decide what really has to be done, and what can slide. Don't be a perfectionist. No child grows up and remembers-we always had the cleanest house-they remember you reading to them, things like that. It will get better. Make sure you take some time for yourself, even just once in awhile, and time with hubby, even if it's just a beer after the little one is in bed. Hang in there, life is tough right now.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Right now it is alittle overwhelming b/c I am also attending grad school. But my husband is a great help.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I know how you feel, right now I am a full time stuident. I am in class 15 hours a week and doing 45 hours outside of scool in homework. Its hard but you have to make sure you still find time for yourself.
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, I feel the same way. Just hang in there. The older your kids get the more manageable it is...I think. Good Luck.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thanks so much everybody for your words of wisdom. I think that sometimes you're so overwhelmed and exhausted that you forget that you're not the only one that feels that way. I will try to find a way to get time for myself to recharge my battery.
    momneedstimeout

Comment by momneedstimeout (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010