after having a baby..how long should i wait before i start working out..

my dd is 2 weeks old.. do i have to wait until my doc's appointment at six weeks to start working out!

Layan82

Asked by Layan82 at 4:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It would be best if you wait for your 6 week checkup for your dr to tell you its ok, but im sure just a regular stroll around the neighborhood wouldnt hurt anythng, just keep it light til the dr says its ok to step it up
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:42 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Some light walking you can do now, if you feel up for it. Listen to your body. Ease into it. I wouldn't say to do nothing until your 6 week appt and then go at it like a body builder, ya know? I would ease into it for sure, and your doc will probably give you the go ahead at 6 weeks.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:46 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I recommend waiting. I was impatient and started running a few weeks after giving birth and I hurt my back pretty bad. I ended up being FORCED to wait until my back was better! Let your body heal first. (PS- I worked out all through my pregnancy and was in great shape and it still happened to me!)
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 6:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Definitely wait until the Dr gives you the go ahead at the 6 wk check up. Walking and light lifting (like the baby) are usually fine, but it's best not to overdo it until you are sure everything is getting back to normal.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Walking is ok as long as you don't start bleeding more heavily when you're done. Increased bleeding is a sign that you overdid it. Start with around your block and keep your pace easy, you should still be able to hold a normal conversation. Anything more than walking needs to wait until you get the go-ahead from your doctor.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I started walking almost immediately afterward and I even had a C section. I just felt better by moving a little bit and stretching. Now, I wasn't going full force around the neighborhood, but I definitely listened to my body and tried not to overdo it. I even went to the gym just before my 6 week appt.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010