Would you vote for or against allowing abortions for minors without parental consent?

I'm undecided, just curious what everyone else thinks. On one hand I know that some girls CAN'T go to their parents due to abuse, etc. and it would be safer for them to be allowed to get it done legally here rather than have them going to Mexico or somewhere but on the other I'm hoping that if they did need parental consent it might deter girls from having unprotected sex? What do you think?

Oh...and I'm also against abortion in the first place as I know many of you are, but I'm just looking at this from this point of view since it's one of the propositions we will be voting for in CA this Tuesday!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Against- They are minors!! Think about it these same minors cannot be given Tylenol by the school nurse without paternal consent, because they are minors!! However, they can go have a medical procedure done without the parents knowledge! Something not right!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I would vote against it! An abortion is a life changing thing for most girls/women! It's a shame for the ones who can't talk to their parents, but for the good of the majority, I think allowing abortions without parental consent would be a very bad idea!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I want to begin by saying that I am PRO LIFE. The only time I believe an abortion may be legal is in cases of a violent crime, incest and if the physical life of the Mom is in jeopardy. Though I am true pro-life and believe that God has the power to open and close the womb, I am not naive in believing that there are some women who suffer because of the 3 reasons I mentioned. I believe that underage children must have parental consent for an abortion!! For the girls who come from abusive homes, there should be an "alternate guardian" to consent. Like a Godmother/Godfather, a grandparent, an aunt/uncle. HOWEVER, I believe that the abuse has to be documented and NOT just a teen's accusations in desperation. Abuse has to be proven. Teen make all kinds of allegations and in cases where abuse is so, they have to be protected.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• im against abortion no matter who its for. and for anyone to do anything with out parents consent is wrong. i would want to know what my daughter is puttin her body through or what other people r doing. im 20 yrs old and couldnt get braces with out my parents but yet i can go and get a baby ripped out of my body on my own.. SOMETHINGS WRONG THERE!!!!!
    Then again some girls dont get it done bc they dont feel its right and they hide they r pregnant. and they throw the baby away. so whats better abortion with out mom and dad or throwing a baby away??

if u think about it, it all comes down to the parents.. they need to talk to their kids more about sex and everything that comes along with it. if we had more parents talkin to their kids about stuff like that maybe it will put some sense into the kids head.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Unfortunately there are states that already allow it. My state (IL) being one of them...... It's horrible in my opinion, because those same minors can NOT walk into the nurses office at the school and ask for Tylenol because they are minors!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• While I agree with you that some girls can not go to their parents with these kinds of things, the scare of that will not stop them from having unprotected sex. I'm saying this with a senior at the local high school who talks to me about things like this. But I do not believe they should be able to have an abortion without parental consent.

Peace, <><
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That's a tough one... I believe in the reproductive freedom of women. Women and girls are two different things, but I do understand there are some really bad circumstances out there, and while I think parents have a right to know what is going on with their children, there should be some option for girls in abusive families, etc. Also, I have seen here in Texas where girls in high school want to abort but their parents force them to have their babies. That I think is a danger of not letting these girls have this freedom. I don't know what makes the most sense for most people other than SEX EDUCATION and AVAILABILITY OF BIRTH CONTROL.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Against. It is ridiculous that it is even considered.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 10:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Here is a list of states...as you can see there are several that allow minors to get abortions without consent... Oh and if you live next to a state that allows minors to get abortions without consent then the minor can cross the border and get an abortion without parental knowledge.

Here is the list of states and laws: http://parentingteens.about.com/od/teenpregfact/a/abortion_laws.htm

I know in IL (where I live) minors can cross the boarder and have an abortion here without parental consent. I'm looking for that link now.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I'm in CA also and voting yes on prop 4...there are exceptions to this that are indicated in the proposition... if there are circumstances that the court feels its in the best interest of the minor (i.e. abuse etc)
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 31, 2008