To bink or not to bink......

Do your kids use a binky? My 1st child never did. She was very small at birth and her doctor didn't recommend one unless we were on long car rides. When she wanted to eat she got to eat end of story (she is still small for her age too. 15 months and 20 pounds). My son weighed about normal at birth. Sometimes all he wants is a binky so he can suck on. I really do not like the things and would like to get rid of it but I don't want to take away is comfort tool. Normally he only gets the darn thing at night or in the car. So when can I start taking it away? I do NOT want him to have a binky when he's a year old.

OliviaW.

Asked by OliviaW. at 7:15 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• ill bump you , cause idk my kids never cared for them, and i think they are so cute....
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:42 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My first never took one and I was his binky (I nurse my children) and that wasn't a problem since I stayed at home with him. My second things had changed and I was returning to work while DH stayed home so we did push her a little more. She took one while I was gone an refused it while I was there. At around 6 months old she spit it out and never wanted it again so we never had to take it away.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My oldest really needed his. My youngest didn't care for it at all. I think it just depends on the child. Some need more sucking and comforting than others. It's not going to hurt him. It's just a soother. It sounds like you've heard people that don't like them talk disparagingly about them, or about mothers who use them. You are doing it to help your child, not hurt them, so just don't listen to that balarney.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My child only use one when she is really tired and has eaten enough. She spits it out when she is done. I think every child is different though. My child likes to suck but my nephew feels security from it. I think it depends on the childs personality.
    asohaei

Answer by asohaei at 12:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think parents are too worried about having binkys and bottles and etc. after a certain age. Who cares if its in a resonable range. When you kids graduate high school are you going to be able to point on which ones had the binky for the longest.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010