Hypochondriacs -- Just want attention?

Do you think they act the way they do because they have attention issues? Why or why not?

I have a friend who's a hypochondriac. When she's not thinking about herself, she's actually a really nice person. Some (a lot) of the illnesses she claims to have she uses as a way to put on a show. She's one of those people who thinks the attention should always be on her. I think this is because of how she was raised. Her parents were stern with her, yet gave her everything she ever asked for.

My mother once accused me of being a hypochondriac when I was a child. I didn't know the meaning of the word and was offended when I learned the definition. When she called me that, I was not pretending to be afraid of everything; I was genuinely concerned. I don't remember what we were doing, but I remember my feelings.

Thoughts?

I think this would go in Health.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:18 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Health

• I think that the biggest part of it. My mother will start talking about her aches and pains if the focus is on someone other than herself.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes I think they do it for the attention.
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Are you sure your friend is a hypochondriac? I recently learned a NAME for what has been happening to me and I think some people in my life thought maybe I was a hypochondriac but that is not the case I just complained a lot because it hurt so @#*$ much. I now know that I have chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and it SUCKS. It really hurt me a lot when people didn't take me seriously. I didn't want attention I just wanted someone to help me and believe me.

beeluvin

Answer by beeluvin at 12:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• beeluvin - My friend claims to have fribromyalgia and she really doesn't.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010