membrane sweeping

at what week do they/will they do that ?

mnmommy83

Asked by mnmommy83 at 8:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i had mine done at 37 weeks
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 8:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• depends on the Dr and if he/she thinks you need a little help getting labor started
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Depends on the doctor. Personally I would not get it done. I had it done with my oldest but not with the younger ones. It was not effective, it was uncomfortable, and there is a risk of infection that could impact babies health.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Some doctors don't do it. My doctor stripped my membranes with my first at 40 weeks 3 days to try to get labor started and it worked. I'm just over 37 weeks with our 2nd and I'm thinking about asking her to do it again either this week at my appointment or next. But like riotgrrl said it is uncomfortable, and not always effective. But the only way it introduces a risk of infection or bacteria to the baby is if your doctor tears your membranes, in which case your water has been broken and you'll go into labor. Sweeping or Stripping the membranes means they are just separating your amniotic sac from the cervix
    mishmashmom

Answer by mishmashmom at 2:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2010