How to hide veggies in food?

How do you do it and got any great recipes?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:35 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I add mild veggies to things with a strong taste. Like I add carrot and celery puree or tiny dices to spaghetti sauce. Once it is simmered a while they turn mushy and are part of the sauce anyway.

I also add pureed carrot to my carrot cake in place of some of the oil or applesauce (depending on the recipe).

I do the same with mexican food - add tomatoes to the quesadillas, carrot shredded tiny into the spanish rice and also to the enchiladas.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The magic bullet! Puree everything so it's nothing but colored liquid. The magic bullet is perfect!!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Pureed or diced veggies can go into burgers/ meatloaf. As above, into spaghetti sauces. You can make pumpkin spice cupcakes or cake instead of carrot cake (because they might catch on to "carrot" cake!)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Most vegetables can be steamed and then use a magic bullet or food processor to puree them. Spaghetti sauce and yogurt are great places to hide veggies.

Sometimes I visit this site for ideas: wholesome toddler food

We have this cookbook, but I haven't had it long so we've only tried a few things so far. It gives tips on how to prepare and puree lots of veggies and fruits and has plenty of recipes: Deceptively Delicious Cookbook
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Just if anyone is wondering, I googled it too and the Sneaky chef has GREAT recipes!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Dice up veggies like carrots, celery broccoli and add to chili and spaghetti sauce.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I make homemade spaghetti sauce - it's less than half tomatoes, I fill it with eggplant, summer squash, onion, spinach, carrots, celery, anything I have on hand pretty much goes in. I puree it all when it's cooked because none of us like chunky sauce. You can do the same thing with soups - chop them super fine and cook well, or blend the whole pot so it's a nice creamy soup. Smoothies - if you add a few bluberries to any smoothie they cover any green veggie you put in - spinach & carrots aren't tasted either way. I don't need to hide veggies, my kids love most of them, but I do these things anyway just for something different.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My main hiding place is my spaghetti/pizza sauce. I add carrots, celery, leeks, turnips, even chayote fruit, whatever comes to mind at the moment. Because everything gets purred with the tomato, it's hardly noticeable.
    I also hide veggies in my hamburger patties, just chop them very finely, or even ground them with the meat if you have a grinder. I even add some carrots, leeks and other veggies to my homemade chicken nuggets.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Shredded in spaghetti sauce. FInely chopped carrots in mac and cheese. I know someone who puts finely chopped spinach in her brownies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2010