I have a one year old, should I let him stay with my parents for the weekend?

My parents have been dying to have the baby for a weekend, but I'm having trouble saying yes. He hasn't spent one night away from me and I know I'm going to miss him too much! I would like a break but I don't want my son to be 2 hours away!
-My parents are great with him, they respect all my wishes (not feeding him junk food) and are fully capable to take care of him. I just don't want to let go!

candiH

Asked by candiH at 10:40 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LET HIM GO.. if u dont he will NEED u all the time.. my daughter has been down with my parents for a couple of days now. and shes only 14 months. this was the 1st time ive let her go. and shes havin fun. the biggest thing is they respect ur wishes!!!! if they didnt i would say keep him home. just let ur son go see his grandparents dont u want him to have some fun? lol
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I know but it would be good for him too. If you start letting go just a little right now, it won't be as hard when he starts school. And he's going to be with your parents so it sounds like he's in good hands. Take the break I'm sure you need it.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 10:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I think you should give it a try. It benefits your child and you. You get a break (which sometimes helps to be a better mommy) and your child gets to be with his grandparents and also starts getting used to not being with mommy all the time. I think it helps them to be a little more independent. And, since it sounds like they are great with him...it sounds like he will have a great time! I know it's hard, I've been there. Give it a try! Good luck!
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 10:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Give it a try and enjoy your night alone! My mom watches my daughter every other weekend for a night and hse loves it! My dd loves it too. She's been doing this since she started taking bottles. PLus, you need a break some times too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Let him go! The first 20 mins are difficult but you will really enjoy yourself
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Even overnighters where hard for me, the first ones it was so quiet and I slept w/ their pillow like a big ol cry baby. The had a blast w/o me though
    cottonsboys

Answer by cottonsboys at 2:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• the first time that i was away from my oldest, he was just over a year old, and he went 3 hours away for a week. it was hard the first day, but it was a very nice relaxing week. plus i started odd hours at work so that was a plus, but it was nice.
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 7:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My little one spent the night away from me at about 2 1/2 months old. He has stayed the night away from me several time in his 27 months. Every time I get to go back home he stays at least 2 nights away from me. One with my sister and one with my mom so I can go out with my sister. I need the time away from him especially now that my hubby is deployed and we are 3500 miles from home. I look forward to traveling home for the holidays because I know I will have alone time.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 5:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I really believe that our LO's need a break from us as much as we need one from them. I have been letting my DD go to my parents since she was 6 months and I have to say it is very refreshing for DH and I. We have a date night and able to have us time. Just give it a try. I think you will be surprised how nice it is.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 9:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2008