How do you keep from spending money?

I don't need anything nor my kids its always i want or they want... Need advice to stop... I want to save. Sometimes i will buy it just to have it, Then whatever it is just sits there

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 9:00 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• I know it's hard (I've been there). You need to build up your self control and only buy what you need. If you need to justify why you "need" it, then you don't really need it at all. As your kids grow out of their clothes and shoes, buy new clothes and shoes. If you need groceries, make a list of everything you need (milk, bread, eggs, meat, cereal) and do not deviate from that list. You don't need magazines, books, candy, junk food, jewelry, make-up, toys, etc. The kids can play with and read the books they have. Save your "frivolous" spending for Christmas and birthdays. Take the money that you would have spent on stuff you don't need and put it in a savings account. Depending on your spending habits, you could have a huge chunk of change when it's all said and done.

Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Don't carry money with you. If you carry plastic, limit yourself to an emergency card or something. I also tell myself I'm broke. I don't have money to spend. If there's no money in my account, I can't buy anything. It works. I have forgotten I had money in my bank account several times. It's nice when I really need something, and find I have the money there to buy it.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• good answers so far. I'd go so far as to do a tip I heard once...take your credit card (s), put it into a plastic bag, and put it into a wet washcloth...then freeze the whole thing. You can get it if you NEED it, but it will take some doing and you will have time to stop yourself, lol....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I just don't go out period! I know I don't have money so I stay home then I don't spend! Even when I go to walmart to grocery shop I only buy what's on my list if it's not on the list I must not need it and I don't buy it I stay out of the toys,shoes clothes, home decor ect..I know if I did go in those areas I'd spend.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I put about $200 or so in a savings account that I cannot touch unless I physically go to the bank. The only branch is 30 miles away and I don't even have an ATM card or checkbook for it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:04 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't keep cash. I tend to want to spend more if it is cash over plastic.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:08 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I used to be pretty close to being a shop-oholic. My mom used to laugh and say that if I have a dollar it's burning in my pocket. Truth is because of tough times I lerned to be frugal and now I do it because I don't need the clutter. I have two pairs of pants and one pair of jeans, if one gets ripped i'll buy another pair at the thrift store....I can't justify spending $20+ on jeans when they are $3 at Salvation Army. I also am just very earth friendly conscious and make my own soaps, cleaners, laundry detergent. I did a 180, instead of a $200 purse being important, I pride myself on only buying what we need when we need it and to enjoy the simplier things in life.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I simply do not have the money to spend. In order to still have a life outside the house I research what is available in my city. This summer we had outings to different parks because they are free. I will look at online menus before we go out for food to be sure we spend under $20. We will go to the mall and let our 20 month old lead the way. You can't stop and look at stuff when your little one is running away :) Look online at local attractions like museums. Sometimes they pick a day to be free or half off. I hope these ideas can help you feel proactive and conscious of your spending.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thank you for all the advice..

kileighsmommie

Comment by kileighsmommie (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Nov. 2, 2010