McDonalds, vote republican to continue to het raises and benefits, thoughts?

McDonald’s sells itself as the ultimate happy place. But this election season, a local McDonald’s franchise in Canton, Ohio is telling employees how to keep the company happy: vote Republican.

Along with their recent paychecks, employees received a pamphlet from their employer on company letter head that stated “as the election season is here, we wanted you to know which candidates will help our business grow in the future.” While pointing out that the vote is the employee’s “personal decision,” the pamphlet explicitly states, “if the right people are elected we will be able to continue with raises and benefits at or above our present levels. If others are elected we will not”:

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That should not be allowed by any employer or corporation. People are free to vote for whomever they want. They can write in Bozo the Clown and it's their right as citizens of this country. Nobody should be intimidated to vote for someone whom they don't agree with to keep their McDonalds job. That's like Dick Cheney scaring people in 2004 by saying that if Kerry won there would be something far worse than 9/11. That's not an exact quote but it's close enough. Democrat or Republican, every person in this country should be able to vote for whomever they want without fear of repercussions or blanket threats that their jobs/benefits will be threatened. I think McDonalds will survive regardless of the party in place.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:08 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• That's really disturbing. I can see the employees being unduly influenced by that pamphlet. It's wrong, but the damage is done. Politics just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier. I hate McDonalds for so many reasons. They are harmful to the environment, with every step of their businesses. They are bad for the American diet, and their influence is tearing at the fabric of other nations where they are setting up their businesses. The only bright light that company shines is on the Ronald McDonald House charities, but those are run mostly through donations, so except for the name attached, McDonalds has little to do even with those.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I have one thing to say.........SEIU! They tell their union members how to vote. Plus, the union who insisted the construction worker remove his shirt with the USS GWHBush on it. A damn aircraft carrier and daddy Bush at that all because it would be offensive to PBO!!!!! McDonald's can do and say whatever they want after these groups impose themselves on their members.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Unions pressure their members to vote Democrat.  Not right either in my opinion.  My poor bil was hurt and his union reps would not help him at all they said they don't help Republicans.  He paid his dues same as everyone else but he has a mind of his own and that is frowned upon.  He knew when he registered as a Republican it would mean trouble for him even at meetings they tell the people to vote Democrat or they won't get help when they need it.  The past 8 years have been rough for him you either conform when in a union or suffer the consequences.  I don't think McDonald's is right in doing what they did but they certainly are not as bad as 90 percent of all unions. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 3:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• When's the last time you heard ANYTHING out of McDonald's about politics?

This President must really suck.....................................

Answer by mustbeGRACE 17 minutes
    --------------------------------
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat ? Why is it the President's fault that this McDonalds manage is trying to influence his employees ?
    Ohand threaten them with losing their job unless they vote the way HE wants them to vote?
    oh...let me see....what if he wanted his employees to vote Democrat,Grace>?? WHat would you say then?
    Either way, the guy is a moron and dishonest and it is wrong. I hope you see that!!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I feel they have a right to know their job is in real jeopardy.

There is an appropriate and legal way to get the message out. (1) check with company lawyer to know the boundaries (2) provide information on specific issues and how they impact the companies future (within the lawyers boundaries)...  There is a way.  Unions walk that line. Corporations/Franchise Owners can and should, as well. If unions are going to do it, I think more companies should as well...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101029/ap_on_bi_ge/us_ohio_election_mcdonald_s

From the article:

"The fast food chain's corporate headquarters in Oak Brook, Ill., quickly condemned the action by Canton franchisee Paul Siegfried, saying it violated company policy."....

"Shirley Rogers Reece, general manager for the company's Ohio region, said McDonald's had no knowledge that the handbill was being distributed.".....

So, it was one guy at one McDonald's and not the corporate headquarters, endorsed by McDonald's or condoned by McDonald's.

Spin, nothing but spin.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• so the pamphlet actually named candidates to vote for, or stated 'republican'?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• sounds illegal to me. Not to mention I don't think it's the republicans that are watching the backs of people in the fast food industry (not counting the upper business folks) lol seems odd that minnimum wage employees would be swayed to vote republican. Nevermind it's not odd. NOw that I thought it through the big heads of mcD's are scared and they want to scare the employees. So so sad
    jenniamigo

Answer by jenniamigo at 9:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Don't sound too kosher..hmmm

Did you give a link?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2010