Suggestions for a very clingy 13 month old? Please, lol?

I have a 13 month old son that I stay at home with. I spend most of the day playing with and entertaining him. He's always been really attached to me and almost always wants me, which is fine. But...it's getting really hard to get anything done, and if I'm not giving him my undivided attention, he either whines or cries. I need some suggestions or advice, ladies. I'm not asking for him to entertain himself all day long, lol, but for small periods of time. Also, when he does whine or cry, should I ignore it? I usually give in, which I think is only teaching him to do it further. I think it's important to learn to play independently for small periods of time...but he ALWAYS wants me. Any advice would be appreciated.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 9:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe when you're doing laundry and such have him come with you and bring something to play with. Or have him "read you a book" while you work so that he stays involved, but hopefully out of mommy's arms so she can load them down with other stuff! lol :)

Have him "help" you sort laundry, put small things away, "cook", etc. :)

It doens't have to be for real.... but let him think it is. Hopefully this will instill confidence in himself to be away from mommy some and to start building that independance. :)

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They do need to learn to play independently. But have you tried making him your helper to do somethings? Like putting clothes in the dryer, putting some plastic things in the dishwasher, giving him a clean rag to "dust" with while you dust, etc?

Also.........One of the best things the little guy I sit for (same age) loves is putting small items in and out of a box or container. He can do that for 20 minutes or so. Loves it. Have you introduced anything like that to your son? Just one idea........... Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You could let him whine for a little while. I disagree with letting an infant cry too hard for too long though. Is there a way you could bring him in the room where you are working? Like if you're in the kitchen, you could put him in his high chair and give him some crayons.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Enjoy this time of being number one in his life and don't worry about anything else, soon enough he will want nothing to do with you...........

Answer by older at 9:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Enjoy this time of being number one in his life and don't worry about anything else, soon enough he will want nothing to do with you........... "

Yea, I dread that day. I'm hoping that he always wants something to do with me, lol. I'm glad that he wants me the majority of the time, I really am, but it gets exhausting. I'm literally with him 24/7 and it's hard to even clean my house bc unless he has my undivided attention, he gets mad, lol. I'm not asking for tons of time...just maybe 15 minutes here or there. A lot of my friends have babies and they aren't nearly as clingy. But...they work, and their babies are used to entertaining themselves all day at day care or the babysitters. I would never want that for my son.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You could let him whine for a little while. I disagree with letting an infant cry too hard for too long though. Is there a way you could bring him in the room where you are working? Like if you're in the kitchen, you could put him in his high chair and give him some crayons. "

Oh, I've tried that, lol. He reaches his arms out for me or tugs on my pants, wanting to be held, lol. Thanks though, ladies....I'll definitely try all of your suggestions! I appreciate the advice. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• as hard as it might be you gotta ignore the crying when you leave him to entertain himself, after a few days of consistently letting him whine it out he'll get over it. it aint easy though good luck lol
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 8:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2010