hand made hand warmers

I found online yesterday how to make hand warmers. Most of the fabric suggestions were plausable, but some of them said that they would "melt" in the microwave. I can't imagine heating hand warmers in the microwave for more than 45 seconds (closely watched) but I need to know what material would be best for making them. I was thinking muslin but didn't know if anyone had made these in the past and could give me hints on fabric and the filling. (I was thinking rice, or beans) Please, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dawn

yellarose

Asked by yellarose at 9:44 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Natural fabrics would be best. Man made stuff (like nylon and stuff like that) would melt when heated. Cotton would be best.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• That is what I was thinking too.
    yellarose

Comment by yellarose (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes use cotton and fill with rice can be heated or put in freezer for a cold pack.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 11:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2010