A question for "some" Atheists

If you are an Atheist because you need "proof" do you believe in life on other planets? I know that people come by their beliefs in many ways, so this addresses only those that need proof. Of course, all opinion are welcome to answer-but I am most interested in those that are Atheists mainly due to lack of what they consider "proof".

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 9:46 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I believe that it is possible life exists elsewhere in the universe. I also believe it is possible that god-like beings exist. However, I do not believe that an all-knowing, all-powerful, creator god exists. If such life is out there, I believe they came into being by the same mechanism in which life arose on this planet. They are no more or no less extraordinary than the life we see around us.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:16 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If life can evolve independently on our planet then it can evolve on others. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Logically a higher power that "made man" and "watches us" does not make any sense. The statistical probability that there is life on other planets is far greater than that of a God existing. So yes, I believe in the probability of life on other planets (encompassing everything from plant life and fungus). Now if the question is if that life on other planets have visited OUR planet, I'm far more skeptical.
    A higher being that made EVERYTHING in the entire universe and focusses his attention on OUR planet....................don't make me laugh. There is neither tangible proof nor is it any where close to being believable. At least the life on other planets is more tangible as there are planets very similar to earth in other galaxies circling stars similar to our sun. (it hasn't been proven that these planets hold life due to being so far away but the similarities make it more probable).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Me? I'm an atheist because there's no proof a god exists, and so far, every definition of a deity I've been presented with is illogical/irrational, and the evidence is just nonexistent. This rule applies across the board--from supernatural (e.g., ghosts) to mythological (e.g., unicorns) to extraterrestrial life (e.g., aliens). This doesn't mean I am absolutely certain the aforementioned beings don't exist. I'm just without belief that they do. But if you presented me with "evidence" that was completely illogical (like unicorns exist because someone's uncle's brother's aunt's dog saw one once) or that your definition of one existing didn't make sense ("unicorns live on rainbows and eat clouds"), then I would say with certainty those did not exist. Same with a god.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 9:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• @Beeky ... that's assuming that conditions required for life to exist are met on those planets ... That is correct.

which, so far, earth is the only one   that we know of   and it is a statistical impossibility that they are met anywhere else in the universe.  What is your proof?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:58 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I do not call myself an atheist, but I am a humanist which does not believe in a deity of any sort. It is possible there is a deity out there, but right now we have no proof there is or isn't. It is also possible there is life on other planets, again we just have no proof either way.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would say that I need proof or a logical hypothesis. The way religion is normally presented is very illogical and irrational. I am also turned off by the conflict it often causes, which is hard to mediate due to the nature of religion and it's emphasis on blind faith and loyalty.

As far as life on other planets: From what we know about the universe/multiverse, it is probable that there is life on other planets; however we cannot say that it exists until we have proof.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Gilese 581, it has liquid water, an atmosphere.... and temperatures near to ours.

What were you saying about impossible? Out of the estimated 4 trillion planets in our galaxy along.. not one of them has any life? Really. that's such an arrogant statement.

If it happened here, it can happen somewhere else.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:17 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• But at the same time, there are those that say with certainity (maybe not you) that God does not exist- is that arrogant as well- does possibility and probability only exist with life on other planets

The difference is the possibility of life on other planets has tangible proof such as atmospheres and temperatures similar to earth as well as being in a specific range of stars such as our sun. (Measured by the radiation given off or "light' refracted) What tangible proof is there for a God other than man's imaginations and it being written down by MAN in a book that has been picked at and edited throughout time? The only "evidence' for God is the faith of those who believe in him and that isn't evidence, not even tangible evidence, it's simply opinions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• there are many species on this planet which would no survive in the environment in which other species thrive, it seems limited to me to define life as requiring water or oxygen.

there could be forms of life that breathe other gases, or don't need to breathe at all. or that don't need to eat or produce waste.
    I believe it's possible that there might be life elsewhere.

the existence of a creator would only be the beginning of an entirely new series of questions, not the ultimate answer.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010