Should states be allowed to ban the sale and rental of violent video games to children?

Should states be allowed to ban the sale and rental of violent video games to children? That's the question the U.S. Supreme Court will consider after hearing arguments on Tuesday in the case of Schwarzenegger v. Entertainment Merchants Association.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger first signed the law in 2005, which prohibited the sale or rental of games that give players the option of "killing, maiming, dismembering or sexually assaulting an image of a human being" to anyone under the age of 18. Retailers who broke the law would be punished with fines of up to $1,000 for each infraction, The Associated Press reported.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Too bad there is a need for the state to control this. Where the heck are these children's parents?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• here's my take: if you have to be a certain age to buy or rent porn...sex is certainly less damaging than violent video games. KWIM?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

I agree with this answer! Why do people need the govt to tell them common sense stuff...not just about their kids either!

In answer the question put before the court. States should have power to do what they think is best within their borders and within the Constitution.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:26 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Waste of time - kids don't buy/rent violent games, their parents buy/rent them for them. If they don't, grandma buys them for birthdays and Christmas. Even if it's a kid using a gift card, they still need transportation to the store. The only reason kids too young for MA games play them is because their parents are too lazy to stop them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They do in Fla.....

Answer by older at 9:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Sure, why not....it's not like there is NEED for children to have violent video games....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think so..just like R rated movies
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:02 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I dont like the thought that children can go out and buy/rent these video games....but i think that a state making it a law is over stepping parental boundries....its my decision what i let my child do....i feel the same way about movies and the like.....if i wanna let my child go then thats my decision not the state....thats just my way of seeing it
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The problem is the children aren't buying these games for themselves. Unless these violent, and imo vile, games are banned entirely there is no real way to keep them away from children. Then we get into censorship and we go down a very slippery slope.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They have ratings on the games for a reason, however this won't stop parents from buying them for their kids or them borrowing them from their friend's game library.

Sounds like a money maker and not so much about the kids.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2010