Kids and Friends' Reptiles

Would you allow your child to spend the night at a friend's home if you knew they had reptiles? Would the type of reptile make a difference in your decision?

Awby

Asked by Awby at 9:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Yeah. Snakes and lizards aren't boogymen. They aren't drug addicts or felons. They're critters, and pretty cool ones. Just make sure you tell your child to wash his hands after handling them.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Of course, reptiles kept as pets are not any more dangerous than any other pet.

Answer by older at 9:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Just because I won't allow certain pets into my home does not mean I will not allow my daughter to go some where just because they might have that pet.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, of course! It would never even enter my mind not to.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes if the animal is in a cage or a room by its self now if they have like a 10 ft snake w free roam of the house that could be a problem but i don't know many people who would let that be around there own kids i dont see a problem with it
    myraclemommy

Answer by myraclemommy at 10:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't have a problem with it! The most I'd do is ask to see them- I don't own any reptiles but I think they are neat to look at :)
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 10:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I'm a Grandma with an extensive reptile collection and have kept reptiles since my now-adult son was little. It has often been an issue for other parents that there are reptiles in the house, and I am just curious the average line of thought as my grandson spends a lot of time here... I know the day is coming when he will want friends over and I don't like the thought of his little friends not being allowed over because of the animals (all of which are securely contained of course).
    Awby

Comment by Awby (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It would depend on what kind of reptile. When I was younger and would go visit at my grandparents I had some friends down the road and they had a 14 FOOT PYTHON in a small cage in the living room. I would not, under any circumstances, let my child stay there.
    newMAMAbear

Answer by newMAMAbear at 4:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• it depends on the reptile and what type of cage it has and how secure it is.
    saphyre23

Answer by saphyre23 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• ~More Detail~
    I do have large reptiles. I will say that as a responsible, long-term reptile keeper I am disgusted and dismayed over the way many reptiles are kept, and the keeping of reptiles in enclosures that are not 100% secure... It only takes a second for a tragedy to occur.

As an example, I have a 16 foot (and still growing) female burmese python. Now, to me she is a beautiful animal, friendly, easy going, and shows a preference for specific people. She is not head-shy (you can touch her head without getting bit), comes to her name, and is one of the least naturally aggressive/defensive snakes I have ever been around. On the other hand, I know that to others Kitty looks like a child-devouring, cold-blooded beast from Hell that will give them nightmares for a week. She is kept in a solid 4x4x8 wooden and plexi enclosure that is screwed shut. She is not taken out when I have visitors, especially kids. Thoughts??
    Awby

Comment by Awby (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010