Anyone get pregnant using the "pullout" method?

Just wondering how often this happens...do you thinks it's a reliable source of birth control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Pulling out isn't a form of birth control at all. A man's sperm could already be well on its way to your egg long before he orgasms, so please don't rely on this "method" for birth control if you don't want a baby right now.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:57 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It is not reliable source of birth control. There is pre-cum. I have know 5 friends get pregnant that way.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I had sex with my husband for about 4 1/2 years using the pull-out method and never got pregnant. The one time he decided not to pull out...I got pregnant, lol. It was a pretty reliable method for us, but I have known people who have gotten pregnant while using it. If you're trying not to get pregnant, I wouldn't use it as birth control.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:00 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• A doctor will tell you, "What do you call people who use the "Pull-out method" as birth control?" Answer "Parents".

Yeah, it's not really effective unless you learn your cycle and chart. And even then, it isn't very reliable.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:01 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yep! According to Taking Charge of Your Fertility, it has about an 80% success rate when used properly every time. I would suggest if you are going to use it for birth control, that you follow fertility awareness rules as well so that you are not relying on it at your most fertile times. That's where we got our third child from- using withdrawal on a potentially fertile day.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:04 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Research performed at the Guttmacher Institute has shown that no active sperm are expelled in the pre-ejaculatory fluid. So when the withdrawal method is correctly and consistently used, it successfully prevents pregnancy 96 percent of the time. This compares to the 98 percent success rate achieved by condom usage, in what is called "perfect use

The pull-out method works best for monogamous couples whom cannot tolerate hormones or other forms of birth control, and may work best in combination with fertility awareness methods, otherwise known as the rhythm method, where the female reproductive cycle is charted, and extra care is taken around the time of ovulation, when pregnancy is most likely to occur.

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I got pregnant using the pull out method :) Not reliable at all. If you don't want to use a condom or birth control. Use the rhythm method. may not be 100% but it has worked for me for years at a time
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Absolutely not reliable.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I've personally always figured you ONLY do this when you don't want to try and get pregnant but figure if it happens it happens. Just curious as to how many people it actually happened to! Thanks for your replies
    Darlah

Answer by Darlah at 10:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It is a very bad method of birth control!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2010