Does it make a person less of a Christian if......

What if you found out that half of the congregation at your church Smoked, Curses, gambles, drinks alcohol etc.....Would you think less of them as Christians? Do you believe that people with these "extracurricular activities" can still be good Christians and get into Heaven????

I'm just looking for different opinions as this came up in conversation with friends and needless to say we were divided 50/50 on the subject......

GoJoMom2448

Asked by GoJoMom2448 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It makes them a bit of a hypocrite but not less of a Christian.....

Answer by older at 10:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The only thing required to get into heaven is salvation through Jesus. It is Christ that makes you a Christian. Actions do not save you. However, if a person has truly been saved, then there will be a change in there actions away from things they used to do. They will want to live a lifestyle that is more pleasing to God and Christ.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:39 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i dont go to Church but i'll admit that i have thought less of some Christians that i know, because they want to tell me how bad my life is,when i dnt see theirs any better than mine, or because i dont go to their Church,they think i dont pray or have my own relationship w/God, they talk about God but yet they also jusge or just talk about people when really its none of their business, i have a few Christans in my family.I also have a friend at work that is a Christian , brings her Bible to work & reads it on her breaks, talks about how God is her life& i have also seen her drink& make fun of people, it surprised me.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It wouldn't surprise me that the church is made up of sinners - sinners that Christ died for and are being sanctified over the course of their life time, and thus will ALWAYS struggle with sin in their lives.

I think it is ridiculous when people (even Christians) want to judge other Christians - Christ died for us WHILE WE WERE STILL SINNERS!

Instead of judging them, we aught to come along side of them, supporting and encouraging them to turn away from their sin, rather than calling names and thinking ourselves better Christians.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No. Christians are still people and still sin. I also think they'd still go to Heaven. I think if the Church condemned then then that would be ungodly. Also, approaching someone about these subjects needs to be done with tact and love. God wants to free us of our afflictions and he can. Some people just want to hold on, are extremely addicted, and/or may not know how to get help. The rest of teh curch should be encouraging and loving toward everyone. Besides, Jesus wasn't sent to heal the healed, He was sent to love and heal the sick. Larger churches may offer addiction services and counseling. Basically, the whole" Good Christian" thing is absurd. Most try to be as "good" and loving as we can, but we are still human. The Christian walk is a hard one but as we mature and grow in our Faith, we are then able to address and overcome our personal obstacles.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:45 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• in other words, if i found out half the congregation wasn't perfect, would that make them less xtian? no..its makes them human.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:46 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Most of those sins are between them and God . Wearing the name Christian does not automatically make you perfect. It makes you someone who still stumbles but continues on. If you think your brother or sister in Christ is in error then you need to a) make sure you dont have a beam stuck in your eye before you try to take the splinter out of theirs, then b) talk to them in love about it. We should be in church to worship , fellowship, and lift one another up in prayer, not try to back bite and tear one another down.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:46 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I just want to add, that the one thing everyone forgets is that just because someone is a Christian that does not make them perfect. We are still human being, with human failings. We are to try our best to live in a way that is pleasing to God and reflects Christ in our hearts, but everyone messes up sometimes. Living and growing in God is a lifelong process.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Until you have the perfect all encompassing definition of christian, then you really can't answer that question.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Pastor Jeff says, "Every Christian is at a different level of relationship with God. It is not up to you to judge them for the relationship they have, that is between that person and God."

Of course, we do have the duty of conviction, but that doesn't mean that we have to hound a person over doing something they KNOW is wrong. That's something they can take up with God later on.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2010