WHY DO GUYS LIE?

Ok, so I met this guy online and we chatted for months...then we talked on the phone for about a month. We were supposed to meet this weekend, and he calls me this morning and is all like, I have to be honest with you. He told me that he's not 28, he's 48! Separated....he even has grandkids!!!! WHY DO GUYS DO THIS? He begged me to still meet him, and promised to never lie to me again.....geez.......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Relationships

• I woundnt meet him if he lies about his age what else is he going to lie about
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It's a good thing that WOMEN never lie.

Whew.

But seriously, don't trust him, it's creepy, it's icky, it's gross - and I'm not talking about the age difference, I'm talking about the skeezy behavior. Just chalk it up to "lesson learned" and move ON.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Heh, I guess they lie for the same reasons women lie -- insecurity, fear, protecting themselves, wishful thinking. In that kind of situation, you probably started as a "fantasy" to him... role playing.. something he never thought would come to any kind of fruition. By the time it did - he had created too much of a story to come clean easily.

I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do at this point. Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:31 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Guys have no common sense! Why cant they realize that lying will only make things worse?!! My bf is a big lyer when it comes to going to the bar after work. Instead of a simple phone call he gets home 3 hrs late and denies where he was. I cant stand it!! And just last night my dd told a little fib and he made a comment that he hates liars! I almost pissed myself laughing! Hes a frigin hypocrit!
    But to answer your ?...lol Only you know if you can trust this guy. Its scary meeting ppl online and if you do then be sure that you meet him in a public place. Who knows who this guy really is?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It's not just guys. Women do this too. Sounds like a very insecure person and he quite possibly is married too. Stay away from him. He is a lier and cannot be trusted. I would say move on and forget him because he is trouble.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i think it's something to do with the Y chromosome. this is not a good indication of a healthy person or a healthy relationship. move on. move on quickly. if there was no reason for him to lie, that speaks of a pathological liar... that what you want?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008