Should the Public Pay to Send Kids With Learning Disabilities to Private Schools?

What do you think?
http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/6101/should_the_public_pay_to

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:00 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not for private schools. My mother teaches kids with disabilites and the beef with her class is over the last 15 years they have cut more corners from her program, left them out of computer lab, music class, and PE. So why would they pay for private school when they could pay a lot less and just stop cutting corners in public school!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think the public should provide decent education that is accessible to all students, not just the 'normal' ones.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on some things. Some school districts cannot meet the challenge of special needs kids, yet the parents are still expected to pay taxes funding education. I think parents should have the option of those tax dollars going to a school that can meet their needs.

matthewscandi, are you saying those with special needs should be solely reliant upon their parents? If this is the case then do you also feel EVERYONE should be reliant upon themselves..therefore ending all forms of public assistance? I am asking because your answer seems really harsh. There are a lot of special needs children that can grow up to become responsible and contributing members of society. If they can't get this help should they just all be put in a home of some sort?

BTW, I think any child attending an under performing school should have the option of their tax dollars going to another better performing school.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:17 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Not private school, public should provide this...

Answer by older at 11:18 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No. They are not the public's responsibility. Their parents made them, their parents raise them AND support them.

Do you homeschool? If you don't why are you letting the public take the responsibility of raising and supporting your child? For the record I do home school my son, who has special needs. I also know that should he be in public school, which, in many places is nothing more than funded babysitting for special education kids, if they cannot teach him they have to pony up the dough to send him to a school that can. Its hard as nails to get a school to comply with that because lets face it folks, money that is supposed to go to special ed somehow doesn't make it there. If it means sending the child to a private school, so be it. All kids have the right to an education.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No, they should hold the schools to some basic standards so it wouldn't be necessary in the first place. We're fortunate to live in a state that finally put its foot down and required all public schools to accommodate both ends of the spectrum - the kids who need extra help and the kids who are advanced. As a result, all the kids end up with a better education. The average kids aren't constantly distracted by the kids who are bored or held back by the ones who need things explained to them differently or repeatedly, the gifted kids aren't bored, because they're in their own class all day, every day, and the special needs kids have programs customized to them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No. It is time for the general public to stop being financially responsible for every person or group with special circumstances. ie: dissabilities, low incomes.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• *every depressed kid with ADHD....
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:18 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Simply stated, NO!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I am so sick of the way people turn their backs on their fellow human beings. What happened to "it takes a village to raise a child"? It really is disgusting the way some people think, especially MOTHERS.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010