Do you find electronic signs distracting?

Our city is starting to enforce electronic sign advertising codes due to the high risk of distractions they pose. One such idea is to simply shut them off between the hours of 10 pm and 7 am because of the nighttime driving distractions. What are your thoughts and ideas?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:41 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. There's one in Roseville, CA near where I used to live that flashes in full color, with LOTS of red and blue. It's terribly distracting at night when you pass it and all of a sudden, there's red/blue flashing lights in your rearview mirror. I've seen so many near misses from people PANIC BRAKING thinking they're getting pulled over.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Dumb bluish headlights that people use??? Haha. That is how the car is made---with the bluish headlights.What is so distracting about them? I am puzzled ......
    _______________________
    Oh for crying out loud, Gertie. I'm referring to the Halogen upgrades that are popular on sports cars. You'll often find them paired with a wing that they think applies down force and helps them go faster, when in reality the wings do nothing in a front wheel drive car.

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No. I don't.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I do

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Not as much as those dumb bluish headlights people use or the sirens as background notes in some music. I hate that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I do too-especially at night. Of course, I have bad eye site too and must wear correctional lenses to legally drive. When the SF bay bridge was going to be shut down for construction over the LD weekend a couple of years ago, they had those signs on the side of the road for weeks- and at the time, we lived about 125 miles away from the bridge.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Gemini- I used to live in Loomis- I know exactly what you're talking about.

Have you been through that area recently with all the night construction? A nightmare!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I guess they just make me angry because of how much they spend on them.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

But yes, i would be in favor of shutting off the signs.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We only have a few, and they are enough. I think they are awful! Too bright, too "in your face" and muck up the skyline...glad I don't live in LA or NYC
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2010