Why has religion become so big of a factor in this election?

Are you knowledgeable of our past president's religious beiefs?
Do you believe in the Seperation of Church and State?
Why or Why not?

ssnelson26

Asked by ssnelson26 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Because the rumor of BO being a Muslim. If that had never been circulated, I don't think anyone would be discussing religion (I don't remember it being an issue in 2000 or 2004).
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:41 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Because the right wing have used politics to dictate morality to our nation for some time and it's looks like they may be losing the ability to bend people to their will under the guise of "government".
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I agree with DusterMommy. The only thing that concerns me are the allegations that he lied about it..... not that he may or may not be Muslim.
    Anonymous

• Are you knowledgeable of our past president's religious beiefs? Yes! In IMO it is scary, any fanatical is scary to me. Do you believe in the Seperation of Church and State? I am always on the fence with that one. Why or Why not? I have no answer, there are pros and cons to mixing and separating Church and State.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 12:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yes! There is a reason for seperation of Church and State.... I dont think either of the candidates are religious, but they have to act like they are to get votes... rediculous!
    Anonymous

• Separation of Church and State was the result of England declaring that the colonist be under the rule of the Church of England. It was not intended that the government cannot recognize God. It is a simple fact that our government cannot require its citizens to be a part of a particular religion. This is clearly seen b/c at the same time, religion was the reason why the colonist came to America, to establish their own religion, to worship God. It was also imperative that schools were created so that the children could learn to read and write so that they could read the Bible for themself. Interesting beginnings...
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I really think because of people feeling Obama is Muslim and they are associating 9/11 with Muslims. I realize most Muslims are not terrorists but in general thats what people feel and I think that it frightens people. I realize he says he Christian but I think alot of people think otherwise.
    Anonymous

• So people can say they are not voting for Obama because of their religious conviction instead of saying they won't vote for a mixed race person (i.e., the racial future of America. Religion is an easy out.
    Anonymous

lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2008