I got a new kitty yesterday

I also have 2 cats that are 9-1/2 years old.. they are none to pleased that we brought home this new addition to our family.. One of my cats threw up from being upset and the other is doing ok but hisses at her... how long does it usually take? We will keep her sleeping in the bathroom and seperate her during feeding in the beginning but I feel bad.. for all 3 of them.. I didn't think they'd be so mad.. my son however, (3 ) is doing great with her..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pets

• put your baby kitty in a pet cage (for her protection)so that the older cats can get used to her and her smell, set her in the living room with the rest of ya'll and let the other cats approach her on their own. They will slap at the cage and fuss but thats normal. They are just deciding who is the boss. Once the older cats realize theyre not being challenged for authority they will accept the new kitty but you will have to protect her until then. Sometimes it take a while.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 11:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It will take I would say a couple of months before everyone starts getting along, they will be fine.

Answer by older at 12:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My cats have never really responded negatively to a new addition (I guess they're just used to it), but when my fiance brought HIS cat over, he was hissing and throwing total fits for a week or so. After that, it got better, but he still wasn't completely comfortable till about a month or two later... I never kept t hem separate, and they never really fought, his cat would just hiss and slap at mine, and mine would look at him and walk away, heh. It does take a little time, but eventually they'll be fine, believe me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Whenever I bring I new cat into my house I always keep them seperated from my others cats for at least a week. That way there are no fights, I can watch for any signs of illness or if it is a young kitten that has not been tested for feline aids or leukemia I am not exposing my cats to that. It depends on the cats and their personalities as far as how long it will take for them to adjust but I let them get used to each others smells first before letting them see each other. When I do this it usually lessons the hissing and possible fights. Granted that is not always the case but more often then not it makes the transition a bit easier for everyone.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010