Is it fair to say, "the military took my husband and that give me the right to be accepted for enlistment as a single mother"?

A male friend and myself are in a heated conversation about another friend who want to be enlisted as a single mother, but be exempt to serve in the mideast. My male friend is angry with me because I'm not being compassionate for this woman's sake. But is this really fair for many other single mothers who have been rejected from the military because of their single parent status?

Also, losing one's life is part of war, if a person doesn't agree with this, than that person should not have joined in the first place.

Is it ok for a single war widow to expect to military to serve her cake so that she can eat it too?

Sincerely,

A "If she gets in, I'm moving to another country" person

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly, I don't even understand the question, but to say ANYBODY who lost a husband is trying to "have her cake and eat it too" seems a little harsh to me...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• She cannot be exempt from going overseas just because she's a single mother. Many single mothers have gone over there, leaving their children with their grandparents. So no, she cannot be exempt. She shouldn't sign up if she doesn't want to serve.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Also, losing one's life is part of war, if a person doesn't agree with this, than that person should not have joined in the first place.

That's kind of insensative. So a wife should not be upset that her husband lost his life in the war? A child can't mourn the loss of their father because he was hit by a morter? WE should just ACCEPT the fact that people get killed in war and not have any kind of mournful feelings towards it? Bullshit.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Its not ok at. If she wants in then she has to give up rights to her children like everyone else. How can you enlist in the ARMY if you dont fight? You can not join the Army if you are a single mother. Not even worth talking about honestly. Plus, if her husband was killed his life insurance was $400,000.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I too am not quite clear on what you are asking, but if you are asking if a woman has the right to join the Military and expect an exemption from going overseas, then I say she shouldn't join the Military.

I also would like to say t hat I am proud to say that I am the Wife of a Marine who has served 30 years in the Marine Corps and I am so grateful that my Hubby didn't have to give the ulitmate sacrifice(losing his life) to our Country. With that said, I think everyone who has lost a spouse while he or she was serving our Country should be entitled to some type of compensation and that he or she should be able to mourn for the loss of their loved ones without being criticized.
    Brendabs

Answer by Brendabs at 12:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• A male friend and myself are in a heated conversation about another friend who want to be enlisted as a single mother

~The military overall isn't letting single parents enlist...Single Parents are not allowed to enlist in the US Military, period.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• BTW, that is MEN and WOMEN.... You and your friend need to educate yourselves on men and women.. It' isn't just women single parents who are excluded..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Is it ok for a single war widow to expect to military to serve her cake so that she can eat it too?

This question makes absolutley NO SENSE.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No, she should not be allowed to join and be exempt

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• OP, I have no idea what your scrambled,mangled, message to us really means.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010