Baptism with two different denominations?

I was raised Catholic and my husband was raised Baptist. The trouble is that I was raised to believe that a baby should be baptist when they are infants and he was raised to believe that our son should not be baptisted until he can make the decision for himself. I believe both have very valid points, but I'm not sure what to do in this situation.

I'm not extremely religous nor do I go to church half as much as i know I should, but I have this slight fear that something will happen and that our child should be baptised.

I was hoping that you guys would have some advice. Thank you :)

amberdawnbarr

Asked by amberdawnbarr at 11:57 AM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know alot of people who got their kids baptized twice. Once when they r babies in the catholic religion and the second time in another. I think u should do it twice. Our pastor told us that babies r born with original sin because of man. I know before all these people I know made the decision to do it twice in different faiths, They struggled with it and decded to do it twice because they talked to alot of priests and pastors and Reverends,no one seen anything wrong with it. It was the parents decision. I hope this helps u. Message me and let me know.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My parents were "church hoppers" and because of the different beliefs, I was baptized FOUR TIMES! I personally believe in dedicating children and letting them choose to be baptized later as a statement of their faith in God. It really kind of is the same as baptizing them - as you are dedicating them to God and vowing to bring them up in God's direction. Maybe this is something that you might consider - HTH!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• According to what I was taught from the bible babies are born without sin and they cannot sin until they are older because they "know not what they do". According to the bible, a baptism is a contract between a person and God to cleanse them of sin and to promise to God that you will strive to live in his image from that moment on.
    So, from that I gather that a baptism where the parent makes the choice for the baby pretty much means nothing since the baby can't make a contract with God and that it should be done later on when the child is old enough to make the choice themselves.
    This of course is just what I get from the Bible when I read it though, and I know many people interpret things differently. As far as talking to Priests/Pastors/Reverends, I was actually talked OUT of baptizing my oldest daughter and thats when I was taught the above mentioned thing.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• There is only one reason for baptism and that is for the remission of sin. A baby has no sin and cannot commit sin because they don't know right from wrong. None of us carries original sin because the definition of sin means to transgress or break the law. You can't break laws if you have no knowledge. The new testament says that baptism saves and we come out of the water a new person. Free from the sins that we consciously recognize and choose to get rid of and live a life of service and example to our belief in God and Jesus. A baby or child cannot make those choices or even recognize the need for spiritual salvation. If by some chance, something were to happen to your baby, his/her soul would go back to God, unblemished, pure and innocent.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Why not do a baptism/dedication during infancy and then a confirmation/baptism at puberty? That is what Lutherans do. We baptize babies because of original sin and then at puberty you make the choice to stay with the church and go through confirmation.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I was baptised when I was 5 years old....in a Congregational church...and my kids were baptised as adults. I DO NOT BEL:IEVE in that"original sin" theory. ANd I do think those rites...baptism,in particular, are just meaningless displays of so-called faith. Meaningless.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010