Ignorant ER doctor sends us home saying, "I dunno!" What the heck?

See initial symptoms here: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/626365/What_could_my_toddler_be_sick_with
SO... Took him to the ER and was there 4 hours. Only to have them give him motrin and tylenol (which we were doing at home, they just upped the dose) and then swabbed his throat for strep. The doctor gave him a once-over, very briefly looked at his butt and penis, and basically said, "I dunno. Sometimes kids complain for no real reason" I seriously almost slapped the guy. What kind of barely 2 year old complains for 2 weeks about his anus burning, and goes around grabbing his penis and crying in pain? That isn't a "game!" Not to mention he "didn't know what was wrong" and sent us home. Excuse me... what kind of doctor can't diagnose a FULL BODY RASH?????
What would you do about that kind of lame doctor? I'm gonna take my kid to his pedi. cuz at least HE knows what he's doing.

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would have kicked his ass. Lazy.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Hold up. The ER is meant to treat emergency symtoms. If he had a fever and pain it was probably their first reaction to treat the pain. He needs to see a specialist. They aren't always fully capable of diagonosing EVERYTHING in the ER.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Have they tested for a UTI?? I have only run in to jackass Dr's like that.. I am so tired of the Dr's we have here.... I'm so sorry
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• BUT, I do understand your frustration, he's your baby, and he's hurting. :(
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• There isn't much you can do except take him to his Ped. It's why I avoid the ER at all costs.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree he needs to see a specialist, hope he gets better soon!

Answer by older at 12:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The pedi did the same w/my son, he is four years old & has been complaining i can understand why his butt itches , he doesnt clean himself right& i know this because he always complains after he gets home from school, no one watches if he cleans himself right, now his penis, she said that most boys complain about it, its normal for them , okayy im the one who is always noticing how he grabs his pennis saying mommy it hurts but she said its common in boys, yea it may be but why the hell does it hurt them? there has tto be a reason , im switching Drs.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Along with Musicmom, If you didnt' feel that they had fully addressed the issues, you didn't have to leave the ER. You could have requested a second opinion.
    Just another observation, why did you wait for 2 weeks and then go to the ER?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well, I won't go to the er unless I have to. The pedi is so much better. .
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Because he has been complaining only about his butt for 2 weeks and it looks ok, and I already took him for the doc for that last week and its monday so I didn't get to take him in until this week. HIs penis just started hurting him. The full rash flared up last night... I could have handled the fever at home... the rash and penis hurting scared me. I try to avoid the ER, but we have taken him before and there is ALWAYS a problem (like, ear infection on a friday night when he wouldnt be able to go to the doctor for 2 more days kind of thing). They did test for a UTI, and strep. I could have done the same thing by googling his symptoms, pretty much. I figured it wasn't a UTI cuz it doesn't hurt when he pees. Still could be strep, we'll know in a few days, but that doesn't do us any good about the rash!
    missbreezy214

Comment by missbreezy214 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010