How can I get a job

So I have been applying to at least 10-20 positions a week, some online applications, some I send my resume, some I apply at the facility. I have an AAS degree for Health Information Tech, I graduated with a 3.65, I have a strong work history, and great references. I have gotten a few interviews, but no call backs. I'm going broke on babysitting charges right now for when I go to interviews, soon I don't think I will have the money to pay a sitter if I do get another interview, I'm falling behind on bills, I need groceries. I need a job that will pay me something worth while, it is pointless to work a job that pays minimum wage or really anything under 10 that would only cover daycare and gas. How can I get a good paying job? What am I doing wrong?

sheloveearth

Asked by sheloveearth at 12:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• It is not pointless to go for the minimum wage job if this is all you got, you are not doing anything wrong, the economy sucks, even people with PHD's are having a hard time.

Answer by older at 12:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• First I have to say keep trying. I was in the smae position a couple of months ago and I was so frustrated because I was not even getting call backs. In my state we have future works, which is a state run facility to help people find work. I would look for something like that where you live. You can have them look at your resume and see if they can give you some pointers. Also try considering going to a temp agency. The work might not be consistant, but it is something.

Also, if you are having a hard time with bills and food call the bank, the CC companies and ap[ply for food stamps. Get all the help you can until you find something. The economy does suck and everyone is having a hard time these days.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Hun, it's the economy. If you need a job, you gotta take what you can get.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It is pointless to work a minimum wage job, even I got a job that paid 8 dollars an hour (which is more than minimum wage) I would be literally working to pay day care. At 8 times a 40 hour work week would leave me a check of 320 then minus the taxes lets say I get about 290 to 300, daycare cost for my kids is 280 per week, plus I would need gas so that leaves me with what about $10 dollars for gas. That won't even get me a quarter tank, surely not enough to take kids to school, baby to daycare ,and me to work everyday. So actually it is pointless, I refuse to work only to pay daycare that is ridiculous.

sheloveearth

Comment by sheloveearth (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• At this point with the economy humble yourself to whatever it takes to take care of your children.. also they have programs that help pay for child care.. I don't know what state you live in but there is extra help. It sucks to have to take some that you are over qualified for but it wouldn't last forever. just to get by til things change. also i don't know if you have tried temp. employment agencies but that cab be an option.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't know where you live, but if there is a Whole Foods in your area apply there. No union dues if you are a checker. Full time is 30 hours and the health benefits right now are pretty darned good. I don't know the pay scale in detail, but the last time I saw something it was pretty decent. I know it isn't what you might want, but it would be a job.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Unfortuneately it is the economy. There are SO many people out of work including my DH. I found my two part time jobs at www.indeed.com which then linked me to www.care.com and www.sittercity.com. Both jobs pay over 10/hour. Just passing along ideas. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Just keep trying. Have you spoken with a temp agency? They're quite helpful in finding work.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• That is exactly the perdicament I was in. I have 4 kids and I have a MA degree along with being a CNA for 11 years. When I got my MA I thought that I would get atleast some income in that equaled more than daycare, however, most gen practices only want to start at 9/hr for entry level. That meant that only 50 bucks is what I have left after gas and daycare. I worked odd hours after hubs got home but again dead end jobs that go no where and minimum wage. I started working from home and now hopefully within this month I wont have to worry about another dead end job again. The bonuses are great and I can work with my youngest sitting right next to me.
    Good luck, its tough out there!
    wolfmomma30

Answer by wolfmomma30 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Check out our job lising here on our blog:-)
    Earnings In A Basket
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010