if a father wants to fight to see his child ...get a lawyer, petition the court for rights, paternity etc...

how much does it cost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• A lot of the cost depends on A0 the Attorney B) how much the Mother fights. The more she fights the more expensive it will be. Paternity tests for courts run about $700 here. Our attorney when we adopted our grandkidss was $200 and hour...AFTER a $1500 retainer. Court costs were almost $1000 by the time all was said and done.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• He can do it practiaclly for free if he petitions himself. Just like a mom can. It's his right to do so. I have seen it done a few times.
    The judge will decide who is fit and who isn't.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If you g/o through DSHS then it could be free... I know in WA if you get a paternity affidavit it's $40, but he would have to sign it....make sure you make a note of everything he's done and if you've had witnesses it's even better

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I believe that cost depends on the lawyer. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No help here but good luck and good for him!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• hm I would guess it depend on what area this father lives and what lawyer he takes. Cause lawyer cost can of course vary. But I dont know how much it would be. I would guess a couple thousands, but dont know it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 12:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Unfortunately it won't be cheap, it will probably cost thousands depending on what kind of fight the mother puts up, but it will also cost her thousands...are you the mother?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It does depend on the lawyer, but in many places they have free legal clinics.

Answer by older at 12:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It's going to be alot of time AND money.... but if his child is important to him he should do whatever it takes- I know I would
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• yes im the mother....hes dangerous and unfit and i just want him to leave us alone...in this case, she is better off without him
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010