my daughter is sick

she has a runnyy nose and a cough and idk what i can give her that i dont have to get from a doctor she is 1

babyy_blue_eyes

Asked by babyy_blue_eyes at 12:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Poor baby, there are a lot of over the counter remedies, but you should ask her pedi first.

Answer by older at 12:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• There's not too much recommended for young children. Try saline nose drops for the congestion and a cool mist humidifier. Use that blue bulb syringe to suck out the mucous. Feed her normally, but try to get her to drink more liquids.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• can i give her like cold meds??
    babyy_blue_eyes

Comment by babyy_blue_eyes (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't recommend it. My son is just getting over a cold and I used the humidifier and sucked out whatever snot I could. I also elevated one end of his bed so he slept in a more reclined position so his head wouldn't get so plugged up overnight.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It is not recommended to give cold meds under the age of 6 years old. Your best bet right now is to use the saline in her nose with a bulb syringe to clear it, elevate the bed if need be, and use a humidifier at night. If you are nursing then breastmilk instead of the saline up the nose is great as well as making sure she nurses as much as possible. if she runs a fever over 101 then a little tylenol or motrin to bring that down.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• humidify, humidify, humidify. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Takiing her in the bathroom while you shower helps to loose the congestion then suction her. There are saline drops that help and kids vapor rub .
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 1:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2010