What is your Bible reading plan?

How would you recommend to someone on how to start reading the Bible?

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've read it 6 times cover to cover in my life - don't plan to do it again. But really, it's fairly simple, Check this site there you can pick your bible version and how you would like to read it (cronologically, front to back or whatever) and then just follow their easy to follow scripture list for each day - it should take 1 year.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You dont! Thats something that they have to find on their own. As the old saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink and if you walk him in over his head all you end up with is a dead horse
    Give the bible as a gift and leave it at that. God has his own way and own time to invite that person to open it...when he decides...not you. and at that time they will find their own way of study..or not. Still a decision between them and God.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• it depends where they are. You can check out the website Sabrina provided or see if your church, or a friends, has a reading plan. I read OT and NT. I read some chapeters from both, usually in order..except I did start in Romans in the NT. When a OT book is referred to in the NT, many times I'll go read that one alongside. For example, I read Daniel and Revelation together. Anyway, I'd say whatever feels right for the person and increases his/her understanding. Good luck :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would recommend reading it in chronological order. This website helps you to understand how the books fit together and the context in which they were written. I've really found it helpful.
    www.thebibletimeline.com
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 2:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• For me, it's easier to start with the Gospels (beginning with Matthew) because a lot of the OT is boring, and to read a couple chapters per day. I like a Bible with a lot of footnotes, so I read a chapter, then read the footnotes; the footnotes help the story sink in deeper.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I should also add that you should pray before reading. Ask God to open your mind and heart to his Word.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 2:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My pastor told me to just open it and start reading randomly there might be a message in the scripture you read.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 3:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i wouldn't force any religious book on anyone. If your going to introduce the Bible, then give a copy of the Torah and other religious books, as well, so they can get a good foundation of what they'd like to believe in (if anything)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Randomness.Plus I go to christnotes.com every morning.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 6:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010