Anyone bought a house lately, or familiar with doing so?

I'm going to look at a house tomorrow! I was wondering, how long it would take for us to own it, if we decided that we wanted to buy it, with all the closing and waiting. My husband is scaring me, telling me that it will be Christmas time. My Christmas always has to be just so, so, does anyone know how long around it is going to take if we choose to take this house?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No, with the way lenders and financing works these days, it could be months before you're in- It's not like renting. In previous times, the entire process took about 60 days, but that is no longer the case,

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Your husband sounds about right.

Answer by older at 12:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Christmas would be very fast. Especially if you put in an offer on a home in Shortsale or Forclosure. Between the banks, escrow, and making sure you can be financed, it's a lot of work!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We got our house in about 60 days it was repo so it was a lot cheeper. Just really look around and see many realiters.
    tanya2boys

Answer by tanya2boys at 1:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• it depends on you and your loaner. If your loan is set and ready to go then it might not take that long, bu you find a house you LIKE and your bid being accepted might take a while. Good Luck!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Probably not until well after Christmas. It was about 3 months from the first time I looked at my house until I bought it, and I know folks for whom it took longer. My coworker has been working on finalizing her home purchase for about 2 months now and they are going to have to move back the closing date.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well, if all paperwork and monies are in order and the sellers want a quick closing it could take a month, but 60 days sounds about right to me. We have owned 4 homes and never closed in 30 days. Think of it as a new year's present!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You should plan on spending the holidays where you are. Even with a so-called 'short sale' you could be looking at months before everything is settled. :-\
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• You could close in 30 days but that is if everything went without hitch - perhaps you will want the closing cost write-off for 2010 (rather than 2011).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010