Could you balance the US Budget?

Here is a website that I got from one of the classes I am taking. It's based on the 2003 budget but could you balance the budget with or without increasing taxes?

http://www.nathannewman.org/nbs/

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/

It's fun to play with, there is a shot version and a long version (gives more details)

I would honestly never want to be president, I know why when men become president they have hair color when they come out it's gray. This could do it to you. :)

Anyways, looking for some input it could be done if cutting programs that are unnecessary.

pandermom

Asked by pandermom at 11:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't even TRY, I can't even balance my checkbook! lol
    Anonymous

• Answered at 12:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I wouldn't even TRY, I can't even balance my checkbook! lol

I was thinking the same thing.
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 12:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Lol I'm with poster number one I can not balance my check book either.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 12:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• And its a crying shame. When the average person in this country, with all the smarts supposedly our school system has put into our brains, with all the availability and tools to use to be able to manage our money, still cannot care for their own finances, and not find this unusual, then why would the average American citizen have a bother about our countries finances being in such a shamble? Yes, I could balance the budget. I have no doubt that I could balance the budget of anyone in this room. :) <---not being cocky, just confident. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I would have to say that I am damn good at balancing a budget. I do not barrow money for anything. Unless I have the money in my hand I do not buy it.
    If Americans would stop barrowing so much they could afford more
    Anonymous

• lifeasinoit

would you balance the budget by raising taxes? or cutting spending in places?
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 1:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I could. Common sense spending and cutting waste would get us there without raising taxes. We bring in plenty of money we just don't spend it wisely. Many of our taxes on the books hurt us and cause companies to leave our soil to go elsewhere. I have managed to stay out of debt and spend responsibly I think I could do the same for our country. All you need is common sense.

Anonymous

• Pandermom, I would cut spending. Like I said before, there is toooo much waste spending. There are so many programs and that are over funded. Theres one good principle of spending that the average citizen, a small company, large corporation and even the government would do well to follow and that is: Do not spend what I do not have in hand. If I don't have the money sitting in my hand, or saved in an account for that purpose, then it doesn't get funded. This is why I do not carry debt. I do not even have a glorious income, but I manage what I have, well. That's the difference.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i would sure like to see more of people like us, everyday homemakers, be given the chance to try it. i think if the government was made to have to live on what we do, our books would look alot different. alot of wasteful spending is just in paper and pens and assistants. they have to have an assistant for everything in washington. alot of little things go on that don't mean much as one but as a whole it adds up. One is the government vehicles used for personal use. now this may not sound like very much as one, like i said. but add 20 cars, 50 states, traveling hundreds of non-business miles, using government up-keep, gas, insurance. it adds up. as an example, last holiday season, went shopping and counted 33 different government cars in the parking lots of the mall, kmart, walmart, cvs. jmo
    Anonymous