Potatoes! DO they count as a vegetable?

My 17 month old daughter is starting to refuse veggies. She prefers the meat. She loves meats. Veggies she once loved and gobbled up now sit on her plate almost untouched. While this is common with the age it leaves me with a question.
Do potatoes count as veggies? Example Mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, sweet potato fries. What is the general consensus on potatoes?? No I dont mean potato chips..

Tonight I got pasta that has a serving of veggies in 4 oz of pasta and sauce with veggies in it. Gotta get the veggies in her some how......

navyjen

Asked by navyjen at 1:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO if the skins are on them then yes though count. Have you tried sweet potatoes? How about mixing mashed cauliflower into the mashed potatoes?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Other veggies can be 'hidden' in a lot of places. Not that this means never serve her a plain veggie on her plate again. It just helps you to supplement while she is being 'picky' Plus it never hurts to have an extra serving of veggies on the adult plates!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• sweet potato fries are yummy and good for you! you can also sneak veggies into things like muffins. thankfully for now my son still likes veggies
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• well.. they ARE a vegetable
    Anonymous

• Sweet potatoes are very healthy. Bake one and give her chunks. White potatoes do have potassium and some other vitamins, but, I do not count them as a healthy choice in my house. Same goes for any starchy foods. Better than nothing. Try a variety of vegetables every day and offer her some. Asparagus, Artichoke, Brussels sprouts, Squash(spaghetti,acorn, butternut), Avocado.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree to try mashing other veggies in with them. Make 'pink mashed potatoes' by mixing in beets, 'orange mashed potatoes' mixing in oranges. Potatoes are a very starchy vegetable and are not nutrient dense, so while they are better than no veggies I usually count them in my meals as carbs like I would a grain instead of as a veggie.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If your daughter loves meat, try shredding green beans or carrots into meatloaf. I would put potatoes in the same category as bread or pasta, starchy and should be limited. But if she will eat mashed potatoes, why not mix in some peas?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I wanted to add if you would like some ideas of other places you can sneak in the veggies PM I would be happy to send you some simple ideas.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010