Vegetarian holiday dishes?

I am a 2 1/2 month old vegetarian, and with Thanksgiving coming up I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on (Vegetarian) dishes to make?

Best3st

Asked by Best3st at 1:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Look up vegetarian times.com it is a magazine with tons of recipes for ya.

Answer by older at 1:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You write really well for a 2 1/2 month old!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I am a vegetarian and I make a great thanksgiving dinner:) I do lots and lots of traditional side dishes and for the "turkey" I buy a tofu turkey. It's called Tofurkey and it's actually pretty good:) I'm not going to lie and say it tastes just like real turkey but it's still pretty yummy.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 1:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My family's stuffing is veg. I use veg broth instead of turkey drippings.

How much veg are you? Are eggs okay?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thank you guys for the advice, and @ ballewal- I don't eat like eggs themselves, but I will eat things if they call for eggs, if that maskes sense.
    Best3st

Comment by Best3st (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• oh I made up a dish last year that was inhaled.It was served with beef rib roast on Christmas but has been requested for Thanksgiving.Savory Onion and Mushroom Bread Pudding.Not sweet bread pudding.Oh oh gotta run to carpool ,I will post later if you are interested.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• @ drfink- That would be awesome if you would share the recipe, I love mushrooms. =) Thanks
    Best3st

Comment by Best3st (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• sure please remember this was made up so measurements are vague and sometimes to taste so add eggs last 

I tried to make it not high fat ...olive oil

whole loaf of french bread or two depending on size

1 large sweet type onion ...diced

8 to 16 ozs sliced mushrooms quantity is up to you

12 oz can lowfat evaporated milk with a cup of reg. milk extra if needed

2 whole eggs and 8 egg whites

1 cup to 2 cups grated swiss cheese and a cup of grated not powdered parm

drfink

Answer by drfink at 6:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Saute onions and mushrooms till very light gold. tear up bread in about 1 inch pieces and toss with 2 teaspoons of evoo and lightly toast. Mix in a large bowl.Add smaller amounts of cheese and can of milk.Stir and mix well.Taste ,it needs to be strong at this point.Add more cheese to taste.Add eggs ,stir well.Add extra milk till it is the consistency of a thick not runny ,lumpy pudding.I think the cheese made it taste salty enough but if you did not a good sprinkle of seasoned salt and/or Worcestershire sauce. It is not vegetarian though I think.Pour evoo oiled 13x9 inch pan. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes till a knife comes out clean.I also add asparagus sometimes

.I make an asparagus mushroom risotto with mushroom broth and sherry.Normal recipe just sub mushroom broth and a large splash of sherry for chicken broth.Tastes better.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 6:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Green bean casserole (I make it every year) fruit salad, corn pudding (sidedish, not a dessert) fresh yams, squash dishes,
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2010