Do you think...

Men who abuse women are mostly victims of abuse themselves, or do you think they had awful women for mothers and now hate women...or horrible excuses for fathers or is it something else?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• I think men who do this witness this behavior as a child and lived among this, it is a vicious cycle.

Answer by older at 1:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• it can be a mix of things...some men who abuse grew up in homes watching men abuse their Mothers, some men take a wrong turn in life, turn to other things to resolve issues and abuse becomes one of their worst choices.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i think its how they were taught.

my hubby and his 2 brothers, never hit a woman. They were raised that way to where there was no hitting in the family he grew up in. on the other hand, i know another person who you better watch out if tempers flare, it might turn into a boxing fight...and the woman he's with, says he's just like his father, no different. those were the only 2 people i truely know so i cant tell you anymore stories of anyone else.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• could be all of the above. either way, they need help
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• All of the above and more...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think there can be a mix of triggers. In my ex's family, it was because he saw the men in his family treat the women badly, so he didn't know any better. I tried to get him out of their habits, but in the end, he wasn't ready to learn until I left.

I refused to stay in a marriage where I was insulted, cheated on, verbally abused and threatened with violence.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think if a man is more or less given his own way as he is growing up then he will be a selfish ignorant pig with the woman he lives with. My thoughts and feelings are, if he is brought up to work for what he gets then he will be more respectful all round.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree with 4 28 bbboy! All of what you said & So Much More!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 3:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It all depends. My ex husband was abusive BUT he didnt grow up in an abusive home and I knew him my whole life. Our families affiliated through church together He has two other brothers and neither one of his brothers have abused their wives. Infact the two brothers married their high school sweethearts and have been married for over 20 years. With that being said, an abusive person comes from all different types of walks in life.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It could be all of those, one of those or maybe hes just a jerk.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2010