How to teach my child to tie her shoes

Why is it so hard to teach kids how to tie their shoes? My daughter tries hard to tie her shoes, but when it comes to making the loops it seems to be a little hard for her to go all the way. Are there any products made for kids to learn how to tie their shoes?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is what I did.

Teach them about bunnies. The bunny cross over each other and one bunny goes under. Then make 2 bunny ears, cross over and one bunny goes thru, pull tight.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• maybe try to two bunny ears.... It worked for my Brother in law (he was 65 :) His mom kept trying with the loop swoop and pull thing but the 2 bunny ears worked :) Good luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• What I did was take cardboard and cut holes in it to look like a shoe (with eyelets,if that's what they're called) laced it with a long shoe lace and that is what we practiced on.......over and over again
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 1:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think it just takes time & patience . Some kids catch on alot quicker than others . However I've always used the bunny ear method that was mentioned earlier .
    tiffy75

Answer by tiffy75 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I actually think there are products out there to help tie shoes, but what a waste of money! Just show her how to do it, slowly show her the steps and she will eventually get it, i promise!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You sit her between your legs and go through the process as many times as needed, she will catch on, it just takes patience.

Answer by older at 1:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• hhahahaha 65 hahahaha lol he was 6 :)
    kiansmom0423

• my mother wasn't able to teach me for the life of her.

but my grandmother sat me down and showed me step by step, having me do the same thing.
    then I got it on the first try.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I have practiced with her before, but I need to do it daily, I guess it's easier to do it for her. I know that isn't teaching her and I realize that she needs to0 do it for herself, but sometimes I give in and just tie tham myself. I'm learning to stop being a helicopter parent.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It took my daughter copying how I tied my shoes for months to fully get it well. We tied our own shoes at the same time.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010