21 month old not talking...

My little girl is not talking, though seems she wants to try. Only words she says clearly is buh-bye, mommy or mimi (sometimes), sometimes daddy and rarely pappy. She has suffered many ear infections and past May has had ear tubes. Prior to the ear tubes she failed her hearing test. What I don't understand is she follows commands and does what she is told and seems to understand when talked to. She is the olny kid her age that does not say "no" (well seems like it). She will try to count or say things, but almost sounds like a deaf person trying to talk (if you know what I mean). She will not pronounce first syllable, but manage to same some that resembles the last syllable. For instance one is "un", two is "eww", and three is "ee." I am just curious if any mothers would be concerned. My parents and relatives things something could be wrong and thing she should be saying more, so it is not just me.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to your pediatrician to see if she needs to see a speech therapist.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• my niece is the same way, and almost the exact same age. Far as I know she has passed all tests so her hearing is fine.

maybe your daughter just isn't ready to talk yet. but if you are concerned with her hearing, then I'd stay on it. Because if there is a hearing problem, the sooner she gets help with it the better.

best to you!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• if she has failed her hearing teats why didnt they help you further. Maybe she needs a hearing aid. She might cant hear that well thats why she cant talk that well, as you described how shes counting, thats maybe the way she hears it. She probably need speech therapy to help her, and check on her hearing issue again.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 1:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I have called our early intervention unit for her age. I just want to see if others would be concerned about this as well or let things go till she is two.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes,you should be concerned. Don't do the "wait and see" thing.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would take her to early intervention. Her speech doesn't have to be perfect, but she probably should have a few more words. She also sounds very bright in wanting to count things. My oldest was speech delayed. By the time he was 6 no one but his teacher and speech therapist knew.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yeah, our prior Dr. wanted to do the wait and see thing. Dec. 2nd I requested to have hearing retested. I knew her prior ENT wanted to do it in August, but we had moved. I called the new ENT and the receptionist said they usually don't test hearing that often, but set me up for the test.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010