Chores!

I have three girls 21 months, 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old. My two youngest like to help out and do not always fight to help mommy clean up, but my oldest is a bear and never really liked to do simple chores. I am trying to teach responsibility and chores. What are some chores that some of you have your 4 1/2 year olds do. What are some things you use to motivate your little ones or reward systems. I just need her to become more cooperative and take responsibility. She is a very bossy child and hard headed. I want to stop this and get her to be more willing to help not just around house but in general. Just need some peoples ideas and what they do with there children with chores and responsibility and consequence.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• My almost 4 year old helps me with laundry and setting the table. The real "chore" with things is getting her to pick up her room.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Haha, yeah, the real chore for my oldest is to get her to do anything.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• sticker chart with either a small reward(one prize at dollar store) or we will get ice cream on friday if you do all your chores. if you dont do it, no rewardat the end of the week
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My daughter is almost 4 and she helps to make her bed (she tries even though is not perfect but she tries), she also helps set the table and clean after. I have a chart on the fridge and it has her name and my son's name, so for every 5 starts she gets I let her pick a movie or do something she likes. She loves to paint so I might get some paintings or anything she enjoys but she needs to get the 5 starts before she gets a reward. Good luck, I totally understand your frustration.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I was thinking of a reward chart. I have princess stickers. I do try to get her to make her bed. Sometimes she does and some times she does not. I also ask help setting table. Her sisters help, she always makes up something more important. I should get help cleaning up from dinner. I also try getting help cleaning up toys and bedroom. Wash she says she wants to help and then doesn't.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• When my children were that age we sang the clean up song for them to pick up and put away their toys. Clean up clean up everybody clean up!lol As they got older we would play a game to see who could pick up the most toys and the winner would give the others a treat and then pick the treat he/she wants. With laundry everyone would get a piece of clothes and put it in the washer and the same with the dryier. aIt was fun and they loved to help. Make a game of cleaning most kids love games and don't forget to treat or reward with treats, stickers, favorite show, be creative hope this helps.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2010