What do you think is the meaning of this song?

Or what does it mean to you? I love the song and have listened to it over and over, and I'm not sure what her intended meaning of the song is. I've been reading online, and a lot of people have different theories. The main one seems to be that people think it's a song about suicide, but I'm not sure on that. Another one is that it is based on Lord Tennyson's poem "The Lady of Shalott" (based off a legend from the days of King Arthur, Elaine of Astolat). I was just wondering what you think the meaning is or what it means to you?

The song is If I Die Young by The Band Perry

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• http://www.theboot.com/2010/07/16/the-band-perry-if-i-die-young-lyrics/

"We wanted to write a song about making the most of whatever time you're given -- whether it's two years, twenty years or two hundred."

"We really have gotten to live and love at our young ages. 'If I Die Young,' for us, is about if it all ends at this moment, look at what we've gotten to do. Whatever time we're given will be absolutely enough as long as we make the most of it"

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Young death, I have listened to it a million times as well and I came up with young death.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I like this song. I was just watching her talk about it a couple months ago. I think she said it's about how nobody listens until it's too late. Can't exactly remember.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i like it too, but ya all i an come up with is a girl telling you what she wants if she dies young... im not exactly insightful though haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• that's my favorite song right now. i believe its just about young people dying before they can experience love
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't know for sure, I just like the song.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 3:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010