Is there a bank that will allow you to cash in your change for bills w/out being an account holder?

In the city I live in I don't have a bank. So is there a bank (Bank of America, Suntrust, etc.) that will allow you to bring in your change to exchange it for bills? Do they have to be rolled or do they have a coin machine to put it all in?

momoflilangel

Asked by momoflilangel at 2:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• you'll just have to call around and find out if they have a change machine. otherwise, yes, you'll have to roll them. any bank will exchange it for bills, its just a matter of how they prefer you present it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Good luck, most banks will still charge you 10%... might just be easier to find a coinstar location... grocery stores or walmart generally have one.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Where I live they have coin sorters at Walmart and the grocery store. They take a small percentage as a fee, but it sure beats rolling it yourself. As far as banks are concerned you'll probably have to call and ask.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• TD Bank has a coin machine and it sorts it out and gives you a receipt. You do not need to have a checking or savings account. You give the receipt to the bank teller and she make you sign your signature on the receipt and give you the exact amount of money from the change. Free of charge, isn't that great?
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• By the way, I just did that last week....
    mamacita69930

• there is alot of stores that have machines that cash them in for a few cents on the doller.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Commerce Bank does it for free. It's fun. You just pour the change in a machine and it counts it for you. You even get to guess what you think the final amount will be. It you're close you get a prize. You get a receipt, bring it to the teller and she hands you bills. You do not need an account.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• coin star located at a walmart near you ;)
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Besides those CoinStar machines I've taken rolled coins into M&T Bank and they've accepted them, they had a scale they would put them on to be sure it was all there, have me sign for them and given me cash without an account there
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010